Append to existing Project configuration

Priya Gopinath December 11, 2019

Hi,

We created a new project template in Jira with new Issue types defined , corresponding workflows,permissions and field configurations defined. Eventually we would like all projects to be created using this template in Jira.

But as of now, we have some existing projects in Jira with lots of reporting data that we would like to use the new template as well .

I see two options here

a) Create a new project using the new template as the shared configuration and move all the issues from the existing project into this new template project. When moving the issues , we see that each issue that's being moved gets a new issue id and does not retain the old issue id.

Question : Is there a way that the issue id value remains unchanged after moving?

b)Modify/Enhance the existing project's configuration manually to include the additional config changes that would bring it to the new template format. This way i dont have to move the issues and can use the existing project. This involves considerable manual effort to modify the configuration.

Question: Is there a way that all this config modification of a project can be done programmatically? such as automated scripts?

Question: Are there any other solutions other than this?

Thanks

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Luc Filion December 12, 2019

Hi Priya.

No there is no way that issues keep their ID when moving or duplicating them. 
I suggest you keep your reporting data in the original project. You may create new issues in your new project and link them to their master issue. You create some sort of handle for them then. 

You may automate this creation yes with several plugins. ScriptRunner if you are good at programming. Automation if not. I also suggest Gaia for Jira to automate issue creation at project creation with templates. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2019

Hi @Priya Gopinath ,

Depending on how many projects you are talking about, your second option would definitely be the most beneficial towards the result you are aiming for.

When you connect the new schemes to your existing projects, Jira has a lot of built-in functionality to neatly migrate your existing issues to the new situation without any avoidable loss or corruption of data.

If you are deploying new workflows e.g., there is a good chance that statuses may have been removed, added or renamed. Issues in the old statuses will need to move to the corresponding statuses in the new workflows. As that's part of the migration process, it is a good thing that you have control on a project by project basis.

Suggest an answer