Apache POI / DOCX4J not working in Script Runner for JIRA

Thomas Venekamp May 31, 2017

Hello,

we use JIRA Software 7.3.5 with Adaptavist Script Runner for JIRA 4.3.16.

I downloaded Apache POI 3.16 and put the following files into atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/lib:

• poi-3.16.jar
  • poi-ooxml-3.16.jar
  • poi-ooxml-schemas-3.16.jar
  • xmlbeans-2.6.0.jar

I tried this code in the Script Console in the admin section

import java.io.File
import java.io.FileInputStream
import java.io.FileOutputStream

import org.apache.poi.xwpf.usermodel.*

File inputFile = new File("C:\\Program Files\\Atlassian\\Application Data\\JIRA\\scripts\\files\\input.docx");
FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream(inputFile.getAbsolutePath()); 
FileOutputStream fos = new FileOutputStream("C:\\Program Files\\Atlassian\\Application Data\\JIRA\\scripts\\files\\output.docx");

XWPFDocument document = new XWPFDocument(fis)
document.write(fos)

and got the following error:

javax.xml.stream.FactoryConfigurationError: Provider for class javax.xml.stream.XMLEventFactory cannot be created
	at org.apache.poi.openxml4j.opc.internal.marshallers.PackagePropertiesMarshaller.<clinit>(PackagePropertiesMarshaller.java:41)
	at org.apache.poi.openxml4j.opc.OPCPackage.init(OPCPackage.java:161)
	at org.apache.poi.openxml4j.opc.OPCPackage.<init>(OPCPackage.java:141)
	at org.apache.poi.openxml4j.opc.ZipPackage.<init>(ZipPackage.java:97)
	at org.apache.poi.openxml4j.opc.OPCPackage.open(OPCPackage.java:324)
	at org.apache.poi.util.PackageHelper.open(PackageHelper.java:37)
	at org.apache.poi.xwpf.usermodel.XWPFDocument.<init>(XWPFDocument.java:116)
	at testApachePOI.run(testApachePOI.groovy:11)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Provider for class javax.xml.stream.XMLEventFactory cannot be created
	... 8 more
Caused by: java.util.ServiceConfigurationError: javax.xml.stream.XMLEventFactory: Provider com.ctc.wstx.stax.WstxEventFactory not found
	... 8 more

I tried then the same with the docx4j library:

import java.io.File
import org.docx4j.Docx4J
import org.docx4j.openpackaging.packages.WordprocessingMLPackage

WordprocessingMLPackage wordMLPackage = Docx4J.load(new File("C:\\Program Files\\Atlassian\\Application Data\\JIRA\\scripts\\files\\input.docx"))
Docx4J.save(wordMLPackage, new File("C:\\Program Files\\Atlassian\\Application Data\\JIRA\\scripts\\files\\output.docx"))

and got this error:

javax.xml.stream.FactoryConfigurationError: Provider for class javax.xml.stream.XMLInputFactory cannot be created
	at org.docx4j.openpackaging.contenttype.ContentTypeManager.parseContentTypesFile(ContentTypeManager.java:728)
	at org.docx4j.openpackaging.io3.Load3.get(Load3.java:134)
	at org.docx4j.openpackaging.packages.OpcPackage.load(OpcPackage.java:462)
	at org.docx4j.openpackaging.packages.OpcPackage.load(OpcPackage.java:379)
	at org.docx4j.openpackaging.packages.OpcPackage.load(OpcPackage.java:270)
	at org.docx4j.openpackaging.packages.OpcPackage.load(OpcPackage.java:250)
	at org.docx4j.openpackaging.packages.WordprocessingMLPackage.load(WordprocessingMLPackage.java:168)
	at org.docx4j.Docx4J.load(Docx4J.java:236)
	at org.docx4j.Docx4J$load.call(Unknown Source)
	at testDocx.run(testDocx.groovy:5)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Provider for class javax.xml.stream.XMLInputFactory cannot be created
	... 10 more
Caused by: java.util.ServiceConfigurationError: javax.xml.stream.XMLInputFactory: Provider com.ctc.wstx.stax.WstxInputFactory not found
	... 10 more

My goal is to open a word document (docx) during a workflow transition in order to manipulate some fields and to save the new document.

I did some searching on the internet and i found out, that apache poi needs prior java 6 one of these libs to work: xml-apis.jar, stax-apis.jar or xercesImpl.jar.

In my lib folder the files are all there:

• xml-apis-1.3.04.jar
  • xml-apis-ext-1.3.04.jar
  • wstx-asl-3.2.4.jar
  • xercesImpl-2.9.1.jar

According to the systems information tab in the admin section, our jira is using java 1.8.0_102. The FAQ section from Apache POI (https://poi.apache.org/faq.html#faq-N101E6 No. 18) suggests to disable the above mentioned libs, if you use java 6+. But this solution is not possible, because some plugins need these dependencies.

I hope someone can help me to sort this out.

Thank you in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Venekamp May 31, 2017

I have created a post-function to test the codes above and it worked fine.

In both cases the new docx file will be created.

My main problem ist solved now, but i am curious why the codes wont run in the Script Console in the admin section. I hope someone can answer this question.

Suggest an answer