Anyone used links (either Atlassian applink or an add-on) to link separate Jiras

Ed Richard June 13, 2022

Need to setup links between Jira's from different instances. Has anyone done this and let me know if it actually works, what was setup like? did  you use Atlassian Applinks approach or and add-on? are there deal breakers when it comes to issues in one instance referencing or having child links to the other instance? what is auto-update like? anything not allowed as far as connections?

thanks,

Ed

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2022

You can use application links to link the two instances.  Application links will allow the two Jira systems to communicate and display information from the other data source, but there is not going to be any shared data synchronization between the two systems other than remote issue links, i.e. an issue link to a remote issue on the other instance can create a reciprocal link back to the source issue so the data is shown on both sides. 

Each Jira instance is going to retain independent setups and configurations but allows sharing data visibility between the two sites.  If you are looking for a way to synchronize data and project configurations between multiple instances you would need to look into third-party app.  

Something like "Issue SYNC - Integration for Jira" or "Backbone Issue Sync for Jira" or "Exalate Jira Issue Sync & more" are a few that can do this.

2 votes
Mathieu Lepoutre _Exalate_ June 14, 2022

Hi @Ed Richard 

I'm working as a pre-sales engineer with Exalate.

Setting up links between Jira's from different instances is a perfect use-case for Exalate

Exalate will work as an add-on and act as an integration tool.
Adding the parent-child relationship is one of the features of Exalate

Through triggers this syncronization can easily be done automatically.

The ticket will out-of-the-box be fully bi-directionally syncronized, which means, if a field gets updated on either side, it will automatically update on the other side, you can change this to make it uni-directional if you so please.

Exalate is easy and straightforward to set-up and you can control exactly which data you want to send and/or receive. 

If you would like to see a customized demo of the product, please book a slot with us. 

Cheers

0 votes
Ed Richard June 14, 2022

Thanks much for the quick replies and valuable info.. I will now investigate options to see what works best

0 votes
Umer Sohail _K15t_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 14, 2022

Hi @Ed Richard, thanks for the question. 

Atlassian App Links will allow you to set up links and share information between two Jira instances, but it will be more or less like a common dashboard where you can see the issues, timelines, and other resources for the linked Jira instances. You will not be able to collaborate or make any changes on the other instance.

If you want to actually work on common Jira issues across instances, and share comments, attachments, change in status etc. with the other instance without leaving your own, you will need a tool like Backbone Issue Sync for Jira.  

Let me know if you want some more information specific to your use case :) 

Suggest an answer