Any way to use JQL in the backlog search bar? (or filter by a label)

Frankie Angai August 27, 2020

Is there any way to use JQL in the backlog? My specific use case is that I would like to quickly filter between different labels (or components, etc) in the backlog view. I use the backlog view to plan out sprints and versions, and I'd like to quickly search for all tasks with a specific label so I can figure out when to do them.

Screenshot of the search bar I'm referring to:

backlogview2.png

Right now, the only way to use JQL in the backlog that I've found is to create a quick filter with the JQL that I want, and then I can use it in the backlog. Obviously, this isn't very effective since I can't query anything dynamic on the fly.

Thanks,

Frankie

4 answers

0 votes
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 25, 2021

@Frankie Angai 

You can try  Dynamic Filters: JQL Replacer for Jira. It lets you create a quick filter without JQL knowledge and save it for Jira filters. So you can use it when you need it again. 

2021-02-25_23-42-34.jpg

I hope it helps.

Regards

0 votes
Victor # February 24, 2021

I have also been searching for the same.

Well, JQL commends don't work on this bar.

But you can use "|" as "or" 

Search all lines with XY or XX --> XX|XY

Sean Kubin June 27, 2022

I haven't ever been successful with `|`  or  "OR" in backlog search input. Is there some trick?

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2020

Hi @Frankie Angai 

Not that I know of.

For more advanced searching you'd need to utilise Issue Search.

You could look if there is a similar suggestion for this on https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa and vote/follow it? Or create a new suggestion!

Ste

0 votes
Florian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2020

In the top menu under „issues“ you can create a filter like this

project=abc and status=yourbacklogstatus

Then save this filer and mark is favorite. 
Whenever you are doing your planing call the filter and append the stuff you need on the fly. 

I think that‘s the closest you can get. But I like the idea of having a dynamic subfilter for the backlog are even for boards. Maybe it is worth to hand in a feature request. But to be honest as great as Jira is, the development department is a bit slow. Even bugs take years to get fixed.  Good look. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events