Always display "Due Date" field on issue view screen, even if value is empty

If "Due Date" never been set, it would not show on the main issue view screen. Is there any way to show it, so that people can do inline editing for the field?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer
Joseph Pitt Community Champion Jul 16, 2014

By design empty fields aren't displayed so I suspect you'd have to modify source code.

3 votes
Joseph Pitt Community Champion Jul 05, 2018

The problem with setting a default just so the field is visible is, from my experience, it never gets reset. Since it has a value nothing I'm aware of will make a user update the value. We did this at my first job with JIRA because management didn't like fields not showing. We ended up with more than half of the values as TBD for those fields when the issues were closed. This is a training issue. 

I found the same in my arena Joe, I feel ya there.  What we did was create custom series on individual reports and team reports that looked for tickets in a known status that should have the field value NOT be the default value, and then managed the misses that way if it returned a "closed" ticket where the custom field value was still set at the default value.  This allowed individuals to view their personal report pages and easily see any misses they had. Leaders are also able to view their teams misses with only slight tweaks to the necessary JQL.

You should be able to set a 'generic' default value for the field, such as "Required" or something to your liking.

If the field has a default value, then it should display, and allowing editing.

Hi Jim,

If you want to show the due date field then you need to set if you want to hide or show it.

If you have a admin access then you need to go site admin->jira->issues->field configuration.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks

This will not make fields that initially have no value display, unfortunately.  The only way to display a field is for it to have a value (without cracking code), so you will need to set a default value that is generic and then the field will display based on the settings you mention.   As per the question, if the due date field has never been set, it will not display unless it has a value, which a person should just set the default value to something akin to "Required" or whatever and then it will display that.  Custom fields with no default value, that have never been selected or given a value will not display without making changes to the actual code.

As they said before, fields are only displayed with values.
You can set a default value with post functions.

0 votes

Indeed you can put any value for that or you can compulsory required field. I think it is best solution for that.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,309 views 12 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you