Alter or Delete a Private Filter owned by an Old Employee

Fletch January 24, 2019

We had an employee named Bob who worked for our company.  He created a Private Filter and subscribed our Executive team to it.

I am now tasked with altering the filter.  Bob isn't even a user anymore in our User Management, and I can't see the filter in System > Settings > Shared Filters.

I'd also settle with just unsubscribing the Executive team from that filter and creating a new one.

I am the system admin.

5 answers

0 votes
Jason Michaud January 27, 2020

I just used Scriptrunner built-in script for this and it seems to have worked for ex-staff. I am now able to alter/delete filters as the ownership changed to me for the filters and dashboards after I ran the script.

cbalingit
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 25, 2022

Hi Jason,

Thank you for this info. Can you please help me with this?

Thank you,

-Crishelle B.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2019

Hello,

In Cloud you can try to login under the old user and delete the filter.

You can find this user in the User Management and login under this user

Fletch January 25, 2019

As I mentioned, Bob is no longer in User Management.  He isn't on the team anymore.

0 votes
Hanane Amrani January 24, 2019

This is one of those pain in the neck issues.

0 votes
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2019

Hello Steven,

This is one of those pain in the neck issues.

There is an OPEN issue for this in Jira Cloud. You can vote that issue.

And here, you can find some workarounds.

Hope it helps.

Fletch January 25, 2019

Unfortunately, those fixes are all unrelated and unworkable for Cloud.  I reviewed the Open Issue though.  Thank you for that link.

0 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2019

Hi Steven,

If you're on server, you may be able to do this by changing the filter owner in the database.

I'd change it to myself, then delete the filter. Then I'd run the integrity checker to erase all of the now invalid subscriptions on that filter. 

Are you on server?

Fletch January 24, 2019

No, we're just using the online Jira.  We are not hosting our own server.

josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2019

You may need to contact Atlassian support to help you clear this out then, 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact

Suggest an answer