Allow group to create projects

Em November 19, 2019

Hello,

My company wants to allow a specific group of individuals to create projects, eg. project-management-group. They can manage and create projects but we do not want them to have access to other Jira admin privileges (changing workflows, schemas, etc...). So far I've read that only Jira administrators can create projects. Is there any way I can give this specific group permission to create projects?

Thank you!

Em

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2019

If plugins aren't an option you can give them admin access and instruct them to only use it for project creation with instructions if they do anything else it is 2 days off without pay. 

I also strongly advise you put JIRA under CR

I STRONGLY suggest you treat JIRA like a production system, put it under change control (CR), and track all requests for any updates, especially new projects, new custom fields, changes in any of the schemes, etc. That way at least the reporter will know when the actions happen and you'll have a audit trail. I've worked many similar tools to JIRA and too many times no one knows anything about why they are configured why they are because there is no requirements or CR. Things are just done based on emails that have disappeared and hallway or lunch conversations.  

If you don't already have a separate change control tool create a JIRA project. I use a basic workflow with a few custom issue types:

Custom field: with a select list of create, update. The description would be to create a new field or modify a current select list, buttons, etc. of a current one

Create Project: I would have text fields for issue types, custom fields, select list/values, per issue types

New Issue Type: description would include all fields and workflow desired.

Workflow: Select list of Create, update, delete. Description of what needed.

Other: Select list of Notification Scheme, permission scheme, field configuration, other

This should get you started. If you aren't familiar with your CR process there should be a configuration management person to talk to.

The goal is to manage what you do and be able to track who asked for what. For instance, if someone wants a new custom field you want to check to see if there already is one you can use that they don't know about. JIRA will let you have multiple custom fields with the same name, which will just confuse you.

Em November 26, 2019

Discussed these options with my team and they're fine with giving admin perms for now (as there are very few people that need this permission). Thank you for your help and advice!

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2019

You would have to use an app in order to delegate project creation. I did a quick search on the Marketplace and found Delegated Project Creator for Jira that seems to satisfy your requirement. There might be other apps can do this too.

Em November 19, 2019

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately, 3rd party plugins aren't an option for me and we only need it to allow a few people to access the "Create Project" button. Jira itself doesn't offer a way to do this? I tried creating the group and adding to the default-permissions-scheme but they still cannot create projects.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2019

Without an app it is not possible to delegate project creation, you need to be Jira admin in order to do it.

Suggest an answer