Allow access to a single project to a subset of users

Leigh Moore January 7, 2020

I have a Jira cloud instance with a number of projects.

I've created a new project 'Project X' that I want to restrict access to, only allowing a subset of users to see the contents... or even know its there.

I found this KB article; https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/how-to-restrict-project-access-for-teams-in-jira-cloud-953142266.html

but I'm not convinced it's directly related to my question.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Leigh Moore January 7, 2020

Thanks @Jorden Van Bogaert I don't have "users and Roles" in my cloud instance, but I do believe I've solved the issue.

For anyone struggling with the same problem this is how i fixed it;

1. Copied the default permission scheme used by the project
  2. Associated the new permission scheme with Project X
  3. Create a new Group 'Project X Users"
  4. Granted Browse Projects permissions to the new group
  5. Revoked the default "any logged in user" Browse Projects access

Now, only members of Project X Users can access the project.

Jorden Van Bogaert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2020

Hi @Leigh Moore 

Glad you have a fix; Although your approach is definitely valid and works just fine, just keep in mind that it is less scale able and therefor Atlassian urges everyone to use the Project Roles in permission schemes rather than the groups.

But again, your approach should work just fine :)

1 vote
Adam Rypel _MoroSystems_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2020

Hello @Leigh Moore ,

the article you mentioned should help you with that for classic project - Jorden also provided more brief version of that.

In case you need to set that up for next-gen project, just follow these steps:

1. Go to "Project Settings"
  2. Click "Access"
  3. Change the Project access to Private
  4. Now just add specific users or groups to a role

All the permissions of next-gen roles can be found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/overview-of-permissions-in-next-gen-projects-959283605.html

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Adam

0 votes
Jorden Van Bogaert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2020

Hi @Leigh Moore 

There are a couple of simple steps:

1. Create a new group for your users, example 'Project-X-users'
  2. Add the specific users that need access to the group
  3. Go to the "Users and Roles" section in the project administration of Project X
  4. Remove all groups and users here that don't need access to the project
  5. Add the "Project-X-users" to the project role that has the "Browse Projects" permission. You can check this in the permission scheme that is associated to the project.

Now only the group (and therefor the users in the group) will be able to see the project.

Kind regards
Jorden

Suggest an answer