Allow Story in Epic transition only in a specific status of Epic

Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2019

I have spent most of my day today looking for a ScriptRunner condition or validator that meets this seemingly simple requirement.

I have a requirement that a Story which belongs to an Epic can only be transitioned from 'Backlog' to 'To do status', when the Epic is in 'In Progress' status. 

I thought this kind of condition/validator script will be easy to find here or in Adaptavist library but I could not find any simple solutions. I do not want to use JMWE nor Automation to synchronise statuses. I want to block the status change on a Story until the Epic status is transitioned properly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2019

That option is available with JSU and with scriptrunner

1.png2.2.png3.3.png

Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2019

Thanks for your screenshots, especially number 2. I admit I have always overlooked that one. The investigation is getting exciting and here are my results.

I tested thorougly ScriptRunner JQL functions as described here: https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/jql-functions.html#_epicsof

My use cases with ScriptRunner functions are as follow:

1. if you use function

issueFunction in epicsOf("status= 'In Progress'")

as a result you will find get all Epics that have stories in status 'In Progress'. It is of no use in ScriptRunner JQL query condition because it doesn't test that one specific Epic linked with a Story. I tested it as a Condition on workflow transition and it doesn't work.

2. if you use function

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("project = EXP and status = 'In Progress'")

as a result you will find all Stories that belong to Epics from project EXP but only these Epics which are in status 'In Progress'

3. and the most interesting finding, if you use function 

issueFunction in hasLinkType("Epic-Story Link")

as a result you will find all Stories AND Epic which are connected by this link type. NB. I guess this type of linking is not described in Adaptavist documentation.

Especially the 3rd one is of True/False type, so this one can be used if you want to create a ScriptRunner condition and test if Epic has any Stories inside or a Story is linked with any Epic. I tested this one as condition in Story transition and it works! In this way you can ensure that Stories are always linked with Epics otherwise cannot be processed.

Although I still have not found the solution, I am happy that I have tested all the above ScriptRunner functions.

fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2019
issueFunction in issuesInEpics("status = 'IN PROGRESS'") or epic link is EMPTY

does exactly what you need (or what i understood yoou need),

An issue can transition if does not belong to any epic or if the epic it belongs to has the status 'IN PROGRESS'

Hope it helps

Unknown User October 2, 2019

Yes Fran, at last with your help I found the working solution.

When I simply copied and pasted your last JQL query, this was the result:

2019-10-02 20_03_55-Window.png

But then I realized that the proper query should have quotation marks (which were missing also in the first JQL query)

So, I implemented the following solution:

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("statusCategory = 'In Progress'") AND "Epic Link" is not EMPTY

I tested it and it WORKS! Only when a story is linked with an Epic AND when it is linked with an Epic which is In Progress category status, the transition button for the Story will appear.

Great stuff! Thanks again for your help!

Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2019

Note: the above reply I accidentally wrote using my other account which I never use here. Anyway - the solution works!

1 vote
fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2019

if you have scriptrunner there is a JQL function:

issueFunction in epicsOf("status= In Progress")

You can create a scriptrunner condition of type "Allows the transition if this query matches a JQL query"

Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2019

Thank you for your reply. It is a good idea with only one but.

Are you sure that this is the scriptrunner condition? Isn't that condition that you are mentioning a part of JSU plugin and that JQL feature was only added recently in version 2.15 released in July?

I wanted to achieve the result with only ScriptRunner scripted condition, if possible. However, as I said, it is a good idea for those having JSU available.

Suggest an answer