Allow Issue Collector to Notify non-JIRA user of submittal

John A_ Verlangieri_ Jr_ June 14, 2013

We have created an Issue Collector for our project in JIRA On-Demand. We created two custom fields to collect User Name and User Email and made them manditory so we can know who submitted the issue. The users want to know how they can get some response from the system via email that tells them that their ticket was successfully submitted. I would like them to be able to get another notice when it gets assigned and when it gets completed with the appropriate notes. How do I get the system to do that? Is it even allowed in On-Demand?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2013

Hi John,

This would only be possible if you were able to populate your OnDemand instance with the profiles of the customers that were encountering this collector.

When creating the collector there was an option you would have selected, Match Reporter?, you are able to set this to match the email address with OnDemand and the one used within the collector. The matching process is also dependant on the 'Create Issue' project permission being granted to this user or group membership of the user. Otherwise it uses the default reporter value.

If you met the above requirements, then you could update your notification scheme for the project and would add 'Reporter' to all of the events you would like the customer to be informed about.

Here is a great artcile about using the Issue Collector, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+the+Issue+Collector.

John A_ Verlangieri_ Jr_ June 15, 2013

Paul,

Unfortunately, we do not know the profiles of all the customers who are using this Issue Collector. Right now we have created an ID to act as the Default Creator, but it isn't helping the reporters. Read the Using and the Advanced Using pages and they aren't that helpful for this problem.

So, what I'm looking to do is to send an email to a recepient that is contained in a custom field upon Assignment. Can I write code of some sort to accomplish this? We have Java developers who know more that I do, but I need to know if there is some experience out there that we can learn from before I ask for the resources.

Thanks.

Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2013

Thanks John,

The only method I'm aware of would require an user-installed instance and would make use of a Groovy script to perform the email post-function on the creation/event of the issue and then reference the custom field you are using to store the email address.

If you were interested about investigating this method further it is detailed here: https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Post+Functions#PostFunctions-SendEmailWhenBlockerReported

Otherwise, there may be some other helpful suggestions from the community :)

Deleted user November 19, 2013

Hello
We are facing a similar problem (notification to non-jira-user upon creation (or status transition) of issue) and I wonder if you managed to solve it with a Groove script?

Thanks!

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2014

We also need the same feature too. How to automatically create a JIRA user using details from the JIRA Issue Collector.

4 votes
Vladimir Horev _Raley_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2015

Hi @Gabrielle Bautista [ACP-JA], @[deleted], @John A. Verlangieri, Jr., @Paul Greig - Gdansk, @Jacques Bosch 

You can send notifications based on E-mail data from JIRA IssueCollector using our plugin: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.vacom.jirassimo/cloud/overview

Here's a detailed explanation on how to setup this kind of notification: https://wiki.raleyapps.com/display/RAL/Notifying+external+users

Enjoy!

Vladimir Horev

Jonathan Serra
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 12, 2016

Hi @Vladimir Horev [Jirassimo],

I tried to implement Jirassimo to be able to send an email from a ticket, but putting `issueCollector.email` in "Email or destination list" field didn't work.

In fact, there was no value at all in `issueCollector.email`, maybe JIRA changed the way the collector metadata is build?

I'm looking forward, thanks.

Vladimir Horev _Raley_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2016

Hi @Jonathan Serra

Please send me JSON output of your JIRA issue generated by Jirassimo to the email that you can find here: https://wiki.jirassimo.com/display/JIRASSIMO/Welcome+to+Jirassimo+AddOns+for+JIRA

We'll have a look ASAP.

Best,

Vladimir

0 votes
Jacques Bosch
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 22, 2014

We have a similar requirement. Notifying non-Jira users who used the issue collector of status changes.

Suggest an answer