Allow 'ADD LABEL' permission without giving 'EDIT ISSUES' permission

Tauqir Rao October 21, 2019

Hello Everyone!

I would like to allow team members to add label in issue without giving them edit issues access. Please guide me how to accomplish this.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Doe October 21, 2019

Hello,

My first thought would be to try to challenge these requirements and make sure it is indeed required by the end user because implementing it will be far from ideal.

However, If you want to accomplish this with only out of the box Jira features, you could do as follows : 

• Create a role for these “labellers" members of the project
  • Give that role "transition issue" permission but not "edit issue"
  • Create a transition “Add Label” form the appropriate statuses and set it to transition "to itself”. You should also add a condition so only the users from that role can see the transition.
  • Add a screen with just the “labels" fields in that transition 
  • Make sure all your other transitions , in the entire project, have a condition to validate that the user is in a role that allows him to use them. 

I would not recommend this solution as it could require a lot of manual configuration work (if you have many workflows in that project ) and  can make changing things or troubleshooting issues more difficult. 
Hope this helps. 

PS: tested on Jira SW Server  8.4

Tauqir Rao October 23, 2019

Thanks, I have already done this. Its working.

Great Approach! 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2019

There is no permission that allows you to do that out of the box. You'll need to look for a plugin

Tauqir Rao October 21, 2019

Right now I cannot go for paid plugins. Do we have free plugin for given purpose? 

Thanks

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2019

No idea. I've never looked for that function and I don't use free plugins. I've seen too many not keep pace with JIRA releases or just stop being supported. I don't want to rely on something that may disappear next month. 

Suggest an answer