All task are incompleted when I complete the sprint

Rafael Bermúdez Míguez November 24, 2016

I marked all tasks done. They are in Done (green) Status and Resolved with Resolved date. But when I complete the sprint they are incomplete. 

How can I change them to complete?

Please see the screenshots.

issue-incomplete.png

all-issues-incomplete.png

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2016

Hi Rafael,

The rightmost column of your board is discarded. As you did not share your workflow, I am not sure where discarded is in your workflow. I am not convinced that this should be a status (it might also be a resolution, similar to won't fix or won't do).

But anyway, to get back to the board ...

As none of your issues reached the end of your board, they are considered to be incomplete when you close your sprint. So make sure to make the Done column the rightmost column. Possibly, swapping the order of Discarded and Done on the board may do the trick.

Sajid Rahman June 6, 2017

Hi

I have the same situation hete. My last column is PACKAGING which is falling DONE status category only. But the difference is i have many other DONE statuses after PACKAGING..like STAGING,DEPLOYED,CLOSED all are falling under DONE status category. 

During sprint completing some of  my issues might have passed through last column PACKAGING and reached STAGING or further. In this case I'm  getting message like there incomplete issues moved to backlog. 

How do I solve this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2017

Could you re-read what Walter says please?  You need to have the issues in the far right-hand column for them to be considered "done"

Yes..i have Done colums at far right.. 

PACKAGING ,STAGING , DEPLOYED and CLOSED statuses are in DONE category. Only PACKAGING is mapped into the last column of scrum board. Others are not mapped.

I have two board one is scrum and other is kanban

Scrum board columns will be like this:

TODO | DEVELOPMENT | TESTING | PACKAGING 

Kanban board columns will be like this:

PACKAGING | STAGING | DEPLOYED | CLOSED

My developers will complete their sprint once all the issues reached in PACKAGING status.
Then the team responsible for releasing will be taking care rest of the process. They are following Kanban process.
So as and when they receive items in the PACKAGING column they start working irrespective of the sprint. They don't wait for the sprint to complete.

Is there any way around

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2017

No - column.  Not columnS.

You say "Only PACKAGING is mapped into the last column of scrum board." - these will be the only issues considered done when the sprint is closed.

I think I see what you are doing here and why, although I'm not 100% sure.  To make it do what I think you want, change the scrum board definition - the packaging column needs to contain packaging, staging, deployed and closed as well.

Thanks Nic,

So you mean  to say My last column should contain all statuses even though STAGING,DEPLOYED,CLOSED statuses are irrelevant to my dev team . In that case when they drop issues to DONE they have to choose PACKAGING. This seems to be okay..But I'm not convinced why one status is not enough to say it is DONE.

Let me try this tomorrow and get back to you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2017

Yes.  That's right.

There is an additional thing you can do here though - if your developers and your release team are clearly separated somehow (like being in different roles), then you can add "conditions" to the transitions that go into staging, deployed and closed.  If you use "must be in role 'release team'" on them, then your developers will not be able to select anything other than "packaging", which keeps the column cleaner for them

I just thought of that...these conditions already there in the transistion of staging,depkoyed and closed.. so the dev will only feel they have one choice in done  column that belongs to them -PACKAGING.

Sajid Rahman June 7, 2017

Thank You Nic. That is working..now when i say complete sprint all are issues are done. Thank you once again.

Even otherwise if it is other DONE statuses and when sprint completion says incomplete issues will be moved to backlog...but I couldn't find any such items in backlog. Is it just a message only?...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2017

Yes, it's just a warning about where to look for the issues if there are any.

0 votes
Rafael Bermúdez Míguez November 24, 2016

Thanks Walter,

swapping the order of Discarded and Done works. Only the last column on the board complete the stories

I need to change the workflow. 

Chirag Jain July 4, 2018

I am surprised by this. How can a mature software like Jira be dependent on order of columns in UI to decide where should an issue move on sprint completion?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2018

Because that's how Scrum works.  You have a definition of done, which defines what issues are shown in the done column.   Scrum has the column on the far right, because most of us work left to right, so the left column is things at the beginning of the process, and the right-hand one stuff which is done.

Chirag Jain July 4, 2018

But if I have marked an issue in "Done" state, or Marked Resolution field to "Done" or "Resolved", it should mean that issue has been  Done or completed, hence it should not be treated as incomplete, irrespective of how it is visible in UI.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2018

There's two things here.

Plain Jira (not Software), recognises only the Resolution field as the marker of "done".  (This is something I would dearly love to change to a more sensible system, but hey, we've been stuck with it since Jira 1)

But Agile (as Jira Software tries to do it) works off the position in the workflow, in other words, the Status, as that is what goes into columns.  "Done" in Agile is the last column.

So, to fix half of your last comment, put status "Done" in the last column, and it'll work fine.

Then put any other "done" status in the last column, and then to make it consistent, make sure resolution is set (by screen or post-function) when going into any status in the done column, and cleared (by post-function) when moving to any status not in the done column.

Suggest an answer