Advice on how to set up Jira project and usage of Stories and Epics

Deanne Watson March 5, 2021

I would like to get advice on how to set up our Jira project(s).

We have 3 separate teams under Data & Analytics.  We have a number of squads made up of some members of these 3 teams.  In some cases people may work in 2 squads.   The squads operate in similar way, but are working on requests for different business areas, e.g. HR, Finance,.  We receive requests in form of a user story from the business and assign it to a squad based on business area.   We are looking at prioritising work for each squad to decide what should be worked on in next 2 weeks.  Some requests can be completed within a 2 week period, whereas others need to be broken down into separate pieces of work that in total may take many weeks to complete.   Currently we have a separate project per team, but as we are moving to a 2 week planning model want to determine most suitable set up going forward.  For example, one project and use Components for squad?    Is it best to use Epic for large pieces of work - to group stories that will cross multiple 2 week periods and have sub tasks under Stories for work to be done?  Squads will want to look at their individual backlogs, work in progress. and burn down charts.

1 answer

2 votes
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2021

Hi @Deanne Watson welcome to the Atlassian community and I'm happy to assist with your query. Firstly, I wish you are staying safe and healthy.

My understanding of your query and the best practice is drafted in the following pic. Kindly let me know if that answers your question.

Master board for multiple projects.png

When you create an issue type "epic" and have the user stories written. Configure single project boards or master board (either Scrum or Kanban) as per your need.  Since you are following the Sprint model, it is ideal to have the master Scrum board. When I say master board, it shows all the 3 projects in the single board and will be easy to manage and workload with visibility.

If my post address your query, kindly click "accept answer" for the benefit of new members.

Suggest an answer