Advanced Compare Condition Not Working Correctly for User Picker field in My Automation Rule.

William Wightman May 26, 2023

Hello,

I am currently building an automation rule in Jira and it is not working properly. I have narrowed it down to 'Coverer' which is a user picker (single user) field. 

AR1.PNG

Even though the field has a value, the automation rule is determining that the field is empty. As you can see from the below it is not empty and has me as a user.

AR2.PNG

In order to narrow this down I set up an automation rule to have it run if the field is empty, and the automation ran successfully.

I also removed the first if statement and it ran successfully if only looking at custom field 28912 (auto assign?). When the issue was reassigned it went to unassigned instead of actually assigning to the coverer in the user pick field and no name populated in the comment.

Has anyone else ever experienced this or have any recommendations? Any help is appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2023

Hello @William Wightman 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

One thing I would advise you to do is insert 1..n Log actions just before that Advanced Compare and print out the following smart values

{{lookupIssues.first.key}}

{{lookupIssues.first.customfield_28905}}

{{lookupIssues.first.customfield_28912}}

Do this to ensure that the rule is looking at the issue you expect and finding the values you expect in those fields. Then try running the rule again.

Also can you please provide the following?

1. Screen images that show all the steps in your rule prior to and including the steps that are not working as expected.

2. A screen image showing the details of the rule Audit Log entry for a time when the rule ran and did not execute as expected.

3. A screen image showing the details of the two custom fields used in that Advanced Compare for the issue against which the 

Hi Trudy, @Trudy Claspill 

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

Here are screen shots of the entire rule that includes your suggestion to log the custom fields to ensure that the correct values are being logged.

AR2.1.PNGAR2.2.PNGAR2.3.PNG

After running the rule here is what the audit log shows. 

AR2.4.PNG

William Wightman is the 'Coverer' or customfield_28905 and Yes is the Auto Assign or customfield_28912.

It is showing that the if block did not meet the condition (the field does not equal empty)  even though it is displaying as William Wightman.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need anything additional.

Thank you!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2023

Thank you for the additional information.

Your problem is here:

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 1.11.09 PM.png

{{lookupIssues}} is case sensitive. The "i" in "Issues" has to be capitalized.

William Wightman May 30, 2023

Hi Trudy,

Thank you!! The rule now appears to be working as expected.

0 votes
Jaime Capitel _resolution_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 29, 2023

Hi @William Wightman,

Congrats on making the effort to set something this advanced on your instance, I hope that it works for you!

If it didn't, I'd be happy to talk shop. I'm the product owner of Out of Office Assistant for Jira Cloud, which would be the obvious choice for you if you wanted to just get the stuff done via plugin.

One of the general advantages of our plugin is that the process is easier to adopt by users, since they can for example sign off from Jira from Slack with two clicks... or connect with Outlook or Google Calendar via Zapier. 

But again, good luck in the process and let us know how it goes!

0 votes

@Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_  I am following your process for the out of office feature in jira and having the issue above. Wondering if you had any thoughts?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Out-Of-Office-in-Jira/ba-p/2148796

BTW - Thank for posting the article as this is something we have been looking for a solution on!

I am new to the community but finding everything really helpful.

Suggest an answer