Administer groups / projects

David Ferrer Llanes August 2, 2021

Hi all,

I would like to administer the users from my account by only assigning the users to the groups. But apparently I cannot longer associate a specific jira project to a group.

I have googled this and found the steps given on this link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/assign-group-access-to-a-project-role-938847040.html but these steps does not work, already failing on step 1: 

1. Select Administration () > Projects.

Thanks for your support in advance.

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

The link you provided is for Server and it appears you are in cloud. You might read this article on permissions- how-do-jira-permissions-work 

you can create groups and add users to those groups under admin/user management/groups. In projects you can define your permission scheme using groups.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

I don’t know what you mean by associate group to project. If you mean you wish to allow access to the project using a predefined group then in CMP this is done in Permission under Project settings. In TMP you define this under Project settings > Access.

Hi Jack, my goal as main admin from my account is to only manage the users and assigned them in the admin console by adding them to groups.

In the admin console i thought it was possible to create a group and then assign jira projects this group. Is this no longer the case?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2021

I have never seen the ability to assign projects to a group within the admin section in cloud. Maybe this is or was something available in server but I am unfamiliar with that. All project access is done at the individual project level. You can create a permissions scheme and use that same scheme across multiple projects.

I think I have figure it out, I can add the groups under the "Add people" in the access settings of the Jira

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2021

Exactly that is what I had mentioned previously for TMP projects.

Like David Ferrer Llanes likes this
0 votes

Thanks for your anwer, however I believe that I had administered users via Groups only. I just simply want to associate a group to 1 or many projects. Isnt that possilble?

Suggest an answer