Admin privileges required to create a new product role, AND set a default group to that role.

MS May 9, 2024

While preparing for ACP-520, Jira Cloud administration, I notice some conflicting info.

Can anyone please help to confirm the below, as it is a bit confusing:

Which admin privileges are required to: 
Create a new product role, AND Set a default group to that role.

A:'Product admin role for Jira Administrator'.

B: 'Site Administrator'

C: Project Administrator'

D: User role of Jira Software'

Reading the Atlassian doc's, and conducting tests, I'd say B, but according to the practice exam it's A. 

1 answer

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2024

Hi MS,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

In order to create a role and set the group you only need Product admin permissions, so option A is correct. You would only need site admin if you also needed to create the group as well.

MS May 9, 2024

Thanks Mikael. I am still confused, as per the Atlassian docs, (and after testing this myself), a Site/Org Admin can create a new product role and set a default role.

See excerpt from the Atlassian doc below:

How does product access work?

As an organization admin, you can grant the default level of product access to users by doing one of the following:

assign a product role when you invite a new user to your organization

assign a product role to give product access to an existing user

add one or more users to a group (any product role you add to a group grants access to all the group members)

To give users product access, you must assign them a role in admin.atlassian.com. Organization admins are able to assign product roles. User access admins can also do this, but only for products they administer. Similarly, a site administrator can only assign roles within sites they administer.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2024

Correct, org admins can also do this. But you should always think what is the minimum permission needed in order to do something when answering a question like this, so therefor product admin is the correct answer.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events