Admin modify JIRA issues without affecting LastUpdated or activity stream?

Mike Jansen November 27, 2011

Is there a way for a JIRA administrator to bulk change issues without setting the last updated field and flooding the activity stream? We're currently using JIRA 4.4.1.

We're still refining our JIRA practices and implementing new features regularly. Part of the "routine" is to clean up existing issues and get them in line with any change in procedures. Sometimes this involves bulk changing issue types or setting different fields.

The problem with this is that our users depend on the LastUpdated and activity stream for their day-to-day development activities. When admin Mike comes along and updated 2000 existing issues, many of which haven't been used in years, it pretty much takes away any useful meaning of LastUpdated, and the Activity Stream for that day is mostly useless.

I'm guessing I can use the Script Runner plugin which we have installed. I haven't found any decent examples of a groovy script that takes a filter and iterates through the issues, updating each of them, making the appropriate call at the right API level so it doesn't affect the last updated or issue history. (Yes we're OK with not having history on these changes -- I bulk add a label before making changes, so we do have some identification).

Thanks,

Mike

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Jansen November 27, 2011

I'm trying to avoid update SQL / re-index / restart JIRA, but that's what I'll do if that is what it takes.

Suggest an answer