Admin-level CSV import ignores newlines in 'description'

Matkat Music LLC February 6, 2021

Hi there.

I'm trying to import some Jira issues from an existing project which has a lot of code formatting in the issue descriptions.  I'm using the Admin-level CSV import to preserve the issue key. 

When I export the issues as a CSV file, the newlines in the code formatting is lost.

Any time saved by importing the issues from one project to another via CSV import is lost by having to manually go through and reformat the issue.

Is this a bug in Jira's CSV exporter, or is this a flaw in how CSV file specs are designed (no newline characters allowed)? 

For now, I am skipping the importer altogether and am manually copying jira issues over from one project to another.   it is quite tedious, but the issues in both projects look the same, which is what I need.

3 answers

0 votes
Urs.Kemmann August 26, 2021

I have a similar issue. I'm https://www.markdownguide.org/extended-syntax/ to generate a table, e looks like this. 

| Step | Step Details | Expected Results |
|------|-----------------------------------------------------|------------------------|
| 1 | Setup Rework fee for vendor | Can set up rework fees |
| 2 | Create purchase orders with items | Can create PO |

It comes through as a table with 1 row and 12 columns. 

I've tried Alt+Return in MS Excel to force the line break, as well as backslash (\) and HTML line break (<br>) at the end of the line and none of those work.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2021

Just a wild guess as so far I did not face this behaviour - is there any chance the description field in your target project is not set to "Wiki style renderer" but "Default test renderer"?

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-renderers/

This however, would have to mean you are not looking on "new Jira issue view" where this does not seem to apply anymore - so likeliness this is really the cause is a bit low.
Anyway, if you could confirm please if you are looking at the classic view or the new Jira issue view this could bring some additional insights for us :)

0 votes
Kit Friend
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2021

The CSV import is plaintext in its rawest form really... it is quite tedious! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events