Adding watchers via email using the CC field

Pankl IT June 1, 2017

Hi,

We have the following issue. When we receive a ticket by email we want to have all people copied in (cc) added to the watchers. This only works when the users in cc are already customers and jira-administrators.

It does not work for when a jira-servicedesk-users sends the mail / request.
Do we have to add any special permission to the servicedesk-user group?

CC watchers option is active.
All adresses in cc are already registered in jira.

Thanx for your inputs,
Gernot

2 answers

1 vote
Moga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2017

Hello,

jira-servicedesk-users user group is tied to Service Desk Application Access by default. But that does not necessarily means that they are under Service Desk Team project role - this is the Project role that grants Service Desk agent permission.

In the Permission Scheme, you can find permission, Manage Watchers. Please grant this to jira-servicedesk-users user group and see if you are able to solve the problem here.

Cheers.

Fred M December 2, 2020

I can verify that this works as desired, where someone will be automatically placed as a watcher/participant to an opened ticket if added via CC to an emailed request to our Service Desk.

To clarify how to do this, go Project settings > Permissions > Actions > Edit Permissions > Edit (for Manage Watchers) > Group > jira-servicedesk-users > Grant

You'll then need to stay in Project settings then go to Customer permissions > Who can customers share requests with? > Any customer, by typing an email address > Save.

I can also verify that this includes emails not already entered in as a customer although I believe I have a setting turned on that does that automatically for any new email sending to Service Desk.

0 votes
JUAN ORTIZ November 15, 2017

Hi, Im having the same issue.

I've tried to fix it with the manage watchers scheme, but it still not working.

Could you please help me with more info.

I've udpated the mail handler, and the permission scheme butI could not get it work.

Moga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2017

Hi Juan,

You have to be more specific about what is happening in your JIRA. Does the email in CC field of the email is being copied to the watcher list of an issue? 

CC watchers option is active?

All addresses in CC are already registered in JIRA?

Suggest an answer