Adding testing checklist

Farbod Jahan February 25, 2019

Is there a way to add a set of checkboxes to a jira ticket for testing purposes. Use case is when setting a ticket from in progress to testing there will be a set of items in the checkbox that should be checked when passing and then it can be marked as complete. Is that at all possible? 

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 25, 2019

Hello @Farbod Jahan 

Adding and maintaining checklists is currently not available in Jira, but there are a few apps that add the ability to place checklists directly in the Jira issue view. One of them, that we have developed at SolDevelo is Multiple Checklists for Jira. This is a cheap and light-weight Marketplace app for Jira Cloud and Jira Server. It offers the ability to work with checklists and define templates. You could create a checklist template for "testing" with predefined items and then have it added to your Jira issues when needed. It can also be configured to have those checklists added automatically, but it would be added at the time the issue was created.

Best,
Sebastian.

Farbod Jahan February 25, 2019

Hi @Sebastian Brudziński can this be added to specific issue types as well? Lets say I want to create a "Build" issue and that the checklist only appears on the "Build" issue type but for "story" or "bug" it doesn't show.

Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 25, 2019

Yes, @Farbod Jahan this is possible. You can select only specific issue types that will have the checklist added. I've posted a step-by-step guide on how to achieve this - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-articles/How-to-automatically-add-checklists-to-your-Jira-issues-step-by/ba-p/1016882

2 votes
Jack Hunter [HeroCoders]
Marketplace Partner
February 25, 2019

Hello @Farbod Jahan,

Jira cannot do it natively but there are a few apps in the marketplace that can help (some of them are free). 

Issue Checklist Pro app developed by my team lets you add a checklist to Jira issue.

It allows defining a default checklist that is automatically applied to all new issues in a project (you can pick which issue type gets the checklist - just follow the guide).

You can also block resolving the issue if not all checklist items are completed

Free version of the app available too.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Jack

Oliver Kantelhardt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 25, 2019

The free Version of Checklist Pro is great.

Thanks for the advice.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Alina Kachan_Railsware_ February 26, 2019

Hey @Farbod Jahan ,

You might also want to take a look at Smart Checklist add-on as a straightforward tool for adding checklists to your Jira tickets. By supporting various handy integrations, Smart Checklist allows appending checkboxes to tickets on their transition. By adding validation, you'll always rest assured tickets are not moved any further in the workflow unless all the checkboxes are marked as 'done'.

Farbod Jahan February 26, 2019

@Alina Kachan_Railsware_ I have actually added smartchecklist for the free trial but am having difficulty adding it only on certain issue types. It says its only enabled for a certain issue and only displays on that issue create screen but when I actually view any ticket the Smartchecklist shows up for every issue type

Alina Kachan_Railsware_ February 26, 2019

Hey @Farbod Jahan ,

Thanks for the follow-up. Indeed, Smart Checklist does not offer per-issue-type configuration so far. I do have some great news here tho :) Introducing this specific feature is one of our top-priority items in the roadmap, we'll be introducing this functionality pretty soon this year. Let me add your vote for this feature for us to notify you once it's released. If any questions arise in the meantime - you are more than welcome to write in!

Suggest an answer