Adding subtasks to an epic upon its transition

Osama Al-Areky October 19, 2023

Hello, 

I would like to automate the addition of new sub tasks to an epic once this epic is transitioned, for example: an epic is transitioned from to do, to on going, then auomatically subtasks are created and added to it. 

I tried different ways to create a rule, but it only creates new tasks outside of the epic, and when i try to create subtasks it doesn't allow me to add it to the epic, it gives error and it says that it has no parent in the hierarchy, althought i select to apply to the current issue. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2023

Hello @Osama Al-Areky 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Are you working with epics in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

The issue type Sub-task (or Subtask) is not intended to be created under an Epic. The issue hierarchy is:

Epics
|-- standard level issue types - i.e. Story, Task, Bug
|-- subtask level issue types

So, the automation rule will not support you creating a subtask attached directly to an Epic.

Can you provide more information about why you are trying to create subtasks attached directly to an Epic?

Thank you so much. It's sorry i meant adding tasks to an epic upon the transition of the epic. It is a team managed project. 

Actually i tried both sub-tasks and tasks. just to see if it makes a difference. For the sub-tasks it gave me an error saying that it has no parent. For the task, there is no error, but it creates the issues outside of the Epic, and i couldn't find an action to add the issues to the Epic. There is a field that allows me to select where I want to apply the action, whether the current or the triggering issue, but both don't do anything.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2023

You will have to use the More Options option to edit the Parent field of the new issue to set it to the issue key of the parent epic.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 4.35.28 PM.png

Like # people like this
Osama Al-Areky October 23, 2023

Thank you it worked

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 23, 2023

Hello @Osama Al-Areky 

I'm glad I could help.

If you problem has been satisfactorily addressed by my answer, please consider clicking the Accept answer button.

0 votes
Thibaut Subra _Elements_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2023

Hi @Osama Al-Areky 

If you want to easily create child issues for your Epic, you can use our application Elements Copy & Sync.

From you Epic, you trigger a recipe that will create multiple issues (a static or a dynamic number) and you link these issues to your Epic with our is part of Epic link type.

Capture d’écran 2023-10-20 à 15.39.57.png

That way, you can create any type of issues under your Epic.

Capture d’écran 2023-10-20 à 15.42.15.png

Of course, you can use Jira Automation to trigger your recipe if needed.

I suggest trying our app, it's free during 30 days and remains free under 10 users.

Let me know if you need help with that!

Regards

Thibaut

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders