Adding status that all other status can go to and from it go to any other

Dani Kaplan October 30, 2019

I've a very "big" workflow. I want to add 3 statuses that can be reachable from all other statuses and I can go from that status to any other status. 

Is there a smart way to do it - without needing to set transition from every status to each one and from each one to all other statuses ?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2019

Hello @Dani Kaplan

Thank you for reaching out.

The easiest way to allow issues in those three statuses to transition to any status and vice-versa would be by:

- Navigate to your Workflows > Click to edit it

- Click on each of the three statuses and flag the option Allow all statuses to transition to this one:

- Click to add a new transition > add new transitions that go from one of the three statuses you created to all the others.

- Once you do it, click to create a new transition and do the same thing for the other two status, however, using the reuse transition functionality to optimize it

Another option would be:

- Click on each of the all the statuses and flag the option Allow all statuses to transition to this one, adding the "Previous Status Condition" to block the specific status that should not be able to transition to other one

Let me know if this information helps.

Dani Kaplan November 1, 2019

thanks, 

First step was helpful (but it only available in graphic designer) 

the 2nd step wasn't clear: 

"add new transitions that go from one of the three statuses you created to all the others" - I didn't find a way to do the opposite (from one to --> all) it only allows to add one at a time. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2019

Hello Dani,

Indeed, the second step I provided would be to create transitions to each status one at a time and then click on "reuse transition" under the create transition pop-up to do the same for the other two status. Sorry that I didn't make it more clear.

I understand that this step would be a little cumbersome to be implemented depending on how many statuses you have, that's why I suggested the second option to allow all statuses to receive all transitions (Flagging the option mentioned in step 1 for all statuses) and use the "Previous Status Condition" to block specific exceptions where the user should not be able to transition the issue.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Like Chandrasekhar Reddy likes this

Suggest an answer