Adding reporter from Description (Smart Value)

Johan Hofer August 26, 2022

Dear All,

I want to add the "reporter" from the description field.

Basically looks easy.

I will receive an e-mail from a certain other app (old ITSM tool) and asked that they can send me this e-mail  with <customer>"reporter.displayname"</customer>

Then when issue is created and coming from (old ITSM tool) I edit issue reporter field with

{{issue.description.substringBetween("<customer>","</customer>")}}

But as I learned after several tests on other subject, Jira seems to want thee JiraID instead of display name. (I tested anyway and seems right again).

Is there a way I can do that, combining smartvalues to search and match Displaynames and return JiraID ? etc...

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Regards

Johan

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hi @Johan Hofer 

Yes, there is a way. Kindly see the next screenshot (and replace "alex koxaras" with your value from {{issue.description.substringBetween("<customer>","</customer>")}}:

lookup and return ID.png

But here's the catch: When you lookup the issues using only the reporter's name, you have to add another field as well, to narrow down your results. In the example above, my lookupissue component yielded 139 results. So the rule only for logging the output was 7 seconds!!

Johan Hofer August 26, 2022

Thanks a lot for your great answer. it worked.

Had other issues as displayname was not like Jira wants, but created a comment to transform text and delete it at the end of the process. Like this no need to create a custom field... but of course resource consuming.

I will check and see how it evolve with more and more data.

Thanks again @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ for the help

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

@Johan Hofer I'm glad that it worked out!

Yeah, you should definitely watch out about this rule and from time to time try to narrow down the results of that lookup. The less, the better and the quicker the automation will be performed!

Aaaand I wouldn't suggest using this rule for multiple project or even as a global rule. :/

0 votes
Johan Hofer September 6, 2022

Just a small reply that I made the same but with lookupobject as I can find information in insight to get back to my issue

Still need to survey performance but look ok for the moment as it's during creation of an issue

Thank you again for the help and hope it can help others

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events