Adding "Original estimate" field to screens (JIRA 3.13)

Pete Marshall June 30, 2013

Desperate for some help. I know we're in the dark ages using JIRA 3.13 Enterprise :-)

I've created a project with all the necessary specific workflows, screens fields, but can't see how I add the time tracking facility. Time tracking is activated for all users. I want to be able to add a time estimate field (and I don't seem to be able to add a sensible one through the admin).

I could revert to adding a numerical field and add the estimate in hours as a workaround, but can't see why I can't add the time tracking fields. Any clues very much appreciated.

5 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2013

Hi Pete,

Back in JIRA 3.13.x , the Original Estimate and Remaining Estimate is controlled by the "Time Tracking" field. So, you would need to add the "Time Tracking" field into the screen that you want your user to be able to set the Original Estimate or Remaining Estimate.

But first, you would need to enable the Time Tracking feature via Administrations > Time Tracking .

Good luck.

-Janet

2 votes
Answer accepted
Pete Marshall July 1, 2013

You may have heard the sound of the penny drop. I was looking for "Original estimate" as the field to add. (A bit embarassing, although I felt vindicated when I couldn't find this fact in the help for v3.13 :-)).

Thanks All - much appreciated

Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2013

Glad to hear it is a solved mystery :)

Maranda Forney July 14, 2020

I am also trying to add "Original Estimate" but it is not an option in the list of available fields.  You stated we need to access "Administration" and then enable "Time Tracking" but I don't see that as an option.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2020

"Administration" as in system administration, not project.

See Janet Albion's answer for the field name.

Maranda Forney July 14, 2020

Nic...thank you for responding but this is not helpful for me.  I am new to Jira and took over projects that someone else created.  Can you provide the path to get to system administration?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2020

You need to log in as an administrator - to get that, you'll need to get an existing administrator to add you into the group that says you are an admin.

0 votes

Thanks Janet. I've enabled time tracking, and have the correct permissions. The project has custom workflows and screens, and I can't see how to include the original estimate field in these. It isn't apperaring by default.

Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
July 1, 2013

Pete,

Please make sure to add the "Time Tracking" field to the correct screen used in the Transition's "Transition View".

In addition to that, if you has time spent on the issue, the Original Estimate won't appear as the Remaining Estimate will shows in the screen.

This is JIRA 4.0's guide, but the Transition View should look something like https://confluence.atlassian.com/download/attachments/213525686/workflow-transition.png?version=1&modificationDate=1240007651031&api=v2

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2013

The "time tracking" field IS the original estimate - the field has different displays and names depending on where it's being used. You must make sure you have "time tracking" on the screen for "original estimate" to appear.

Kiran_Kumar September 19, 2019

I added Original Estimate to View screen but it doesn't seem to update the Time Tracking section. I added the field to Edit, the screen comes with two Original Estimates. 

Any inputs?
(Time Tracking is added in the both the screens)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2019

You've got a custom field called "original estimate", and you've added that to the screen.  This is not the same as Jira's "original estimate".

Please see the first sentence in the previous comment, this explains how the estimates work.

Kiran_Kumar September 19, 2019

Ok, but adding the Time Tracking alone to the view screen doesn't give field Original Estimate like it does in Edit. Am I doing something wrong?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2019

There is a time-tracking panel where the estimate fields appear.  You don't really need to add the field to issue view at all.

eva_konrad April 23, 2020

Dear Admin,
Could you help me how can I hide the Original estimate for several users (group).
I have created a field TAB and I have added the time-tracking, but the Original estimate is shown on main screen (on first TAB).
I have to hide this field but not for all users but also several users. Therefore Hide is not suitable for me either in Field config either screen config.

Thanks in advance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2020

Jira doesn't do field level security, you either offer the field or you do not

0 votes

Thanks very much James. I was hoping to do this is the vanilla system, but will check this out.

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2013

Not sure with your version of JIRA, but we use time.on plug-in.

Carl Rees April 5, 2019

So your saying a a piece or world class project management software 

Does not provide the ability to estimate a task and track the time spent on the task and display the time remaining on a task, out of the box.

This in fact is a true statement for JIRA ! wow, is it just me?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer