Adding issues to release

Marika Wojtuń February 19, 2018

Hello,

I'm a new QA here and I need to add an issue to a release version. I set up a release version but cannot add a single issue to it, and unfortunatelly jiras help is presenting the old way to do it and it does not apply to new jira

4 answers

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2018

Hi Marika,

just hover over the field with the mouse and click the pencil:

image.png

Then select your previously created version in the drop-down-field:

image.png

I don't have permission o edit this field unfortunately.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2018

Ah, then please have a look at the permission scheme of your project. There, have a look at the permission: "Resolve Issues" - this is the one you need to add a fixversion to an issue. 

ok, thanks

Christoph Baumeister February 20, 2018

Hi @Thomas Schlegel! I also have the issue that I cannot change the fix version/s field when viewing an issue. I checked the permissions for "resolve issues" and any user is allowed to that. Any clue where else to look?

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 20, 2018

Hi @Christoph Baumeister ,

maybe the issue is already closed? You can't change a closed issue unless you change the default behaviour in the workflow state.

@Thomas Schlegel No, it's unresolved and in the backlog still... :(

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 20, 2018

Are you able to change the version in the edit form? Can you change any other field?

Hava you already created a version in your project?

@Thomas Schlegel Thanks a lot! I fixed it. It was not listed on the edit screen. Added it there - now I can also edit it directly with the pen icon. 

Like # people like this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 20, 2018

You're welcome, @Christoph Baumeister - Great you found the problem!

Christopher Dennington March 21, 2019

I think 'Release Version' would make more sense than 'Fix Version' as it corresponds to the feature

Like # people like this
Lynn Squire May 31, 2019

how do you handle issues with a release? For example, you release and a bug is found or the user doesn't agree that it is fixed?

ofir gutmacher June 5, 2019

@Lynn Squire:
you block/disable the option to connect the bug to a story which has a released version.
So, the question is really how to fix this bug which now is unrelated to a story and has its version to an "unreleased version"?
We , in bezeqint, manage 2 approaches:
1. we have a general EPIC which doesn't have a version and is called: "Regular bugs". you need to link bugs to it if you can't link it to the corresponding story

2. the PMO, makes a new "clone" of the original released story, with an unreleased version. after this story is created, we can re-assign it to a sprint and, of course, link the new bug to it.

eventually, you might have clones of released stories, but we prefer the more common - "Jira is performing a release, so move open stories to the next sprint".

that is the built-in approach.

Like Josh Simnitt likes this
Lynn Squire June 5, 2019

Thank you.

2 votes
Silvestra Valciukaite June 5, 2019

Hey @Christoph Baumeister how did you add it to the edit screen?

Happy Buddha October 16, 2019

I think what he meant was you can update the fix version in the edit screen. So if you click on edit, you can update the fix version : 

jiraSS.png

0 votes
Samuel Justus January 13, 2021

@Thomas Schlegel 

Hi Thomas - I added Release version history to the screens for my projects, but the release version I created won't show up as an option within the tickets when I'm trying to assign a release version...

I was trying to go back to my screens to take a screenshot for context, but now I can't seem to get back to where I was when I edited the screens, so sorry :)

0 votes
Tad Livingston July 17, 2020

I had this issue too, but the accepted answer wasn't working.

We have a project that would show the field when viewing the issue, but not when creating the issue.  Because of that, we could't edit that field at all.

I had to go into Jira Administration > Issues > Screens > SCREEN NAME > Configure, and add the field "Fixed Version/s" (or) "Affects Version/s", and save it.

Then I was able to change the field in the ticket, as described above.

Suggest an answer