Adding hierarchy tasks to an Epic is duplicated on Structure

Deleted user March 25, 2023

I'm using Jira Structure, having this hierarchy: Epics -> Story -> Tasks.  

My goal - is to display & manage "Epic links" - with ALL the tasks that are located underneath a specific Epic on my Structure.

However - when I add tasks to a second-level under an Epic - it removes the Epic relations and set another link instead.

And if I'll add the "Epic relation" to a Task manually - it'll be displayed twice on my structure. - Once under the relevant Story and once under the Epic.

My goal hierarchy.

Epic
   Story (linked to an epic; relations to Task)
      Task (linked to an epic; relations to Story)

trouble-in-epic.png

Please help

1 answer

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2023

Hi @[deleted],

Happy to see you've made progress since you started this. Since you are trying to create a structure that is not natively supported in Jira, you'll have to be very rigid regarding the way you set up relations between issues.

Your observations are correct: if you add a task to an Epic, it will automatically appear in your structure as child of that epic, since the extender "issues belonging to epics" does render them. If you do not want them there, you should not add them to your epic, but only link them to the stories they belong to.

That may of course have an impact on the way you work in e.g. your scrum or kanban boards, as you will no longer see the link between tasks and the epics they belong to. So it's a matter of thinking thoroughly about what you are trying to achieve.

On a side note: the natural, built-in default child of a story would be a sub-task. You may be able to overcome the hierarchy issue you are trying to overcome here by using those instead?

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events