Adding help on custom fields on a Jira Cloud.

David Bekkerus
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 18, 2019

Hello,

I created a could custom fields Acceptance Criteria and Business Purpose, in my Jira Cloud instance. I was hoping to add a hover over or a help icon next to these new fields by their label that would give the description of the expected data in these fields. Is there a way to do that?

image.png

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2019

Hello David,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

Unfortunately, it is not possible to add a Help icon to custom fields on JIRA Cloud. As you can see in the feature request below, it was already requested but not implemented due to the low number of requesters:

Allow help tips for custom fields - alt text and pop-ups

For now, you can add a text to the field description giving the instructions of what information is expected on this. The text should be properly displayed when you click to edit the issue in the old issue layout, however, it will not be displayed in the new issue view of JIRA.

If you are using the new issue view, you can still use the Message Custom field (For View) to add the field help.

Let me know if this information helps.

Denisa Bento May 21, 2019

Any plans on adding it to the New Issue View?

Suggest an answer