Adding custom field for client's name

Vitaliy Ivanets February 4, 2015

Hi,

I need to add a custom field for client's name which will give me a list of existing values so I won't insert a duplicate name in DB. It should look something like that:

screenshot.PNG

Does JIRA have such fields?

4 answers

1 vote
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2015

If you have an external DB with the client names, I would really recommend Database Custom Field free plugin. It did wonders for us.

Other option would be to use JIRA's Components field (if you don't really use it now). Regarding this options:

Pros:

• That way you could limit the options people choose.
  • You can assign users to lead each component (client).

Cons:

• Setting is per project. So if you have more than 1 project that needs this list - it might take a log of time to configure.

Vitaliy Ivanets February 5, 2015

I've just tried to use field "Components".It seems OK for me. How can I rename this field into "Client's name"?

Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2015

Since it's a JIRA system field (generic like Affected Versions and Fixed Versions) you can't rename it. But you can add a description below the field using Field Configuration. Go to the relevant one and search for "Component/s" - add a description there. If you must have a field with name "Client's name" you may consider adding a new new custom field of type Lables. It has the same functionality as Components (autocomplete, ability to add more clients on the fly) but lacks the ability to prevent specific users from adding new values/clients from within the field and ability to assign watchers and assignees to each label. Generally, I think this could be a good solution for you.

Vitaliy Ivanets February 5, 2015

Fields with 'label' type don't allow to use spaces in names. Maybe you know how to avoid this restriction?

Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2015

That was one of the reasons we stopped using labels too and moved to Database Custom Field plugin

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2015

Ok, I will add on it. First, Thanks Peter for the nice words of yours. Next, we are preparing something even better, check: http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/KCFPRO/Example+1+-+Huge+Data+Sets Is is available only on request for now.

0 votes

no they are not jira user's it would be just clients' names

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2015

Are these existing usernames in JIRA?

0 votes
Luke Timms February 4, 2015

Create a custom field 'Select List' and add their names, you can use this across all projects. The downside is that a site-admin is needed to add/remove names.

Also put the list in alphabetical order.

I need to create a new client's name at once in "create issue" window if the system doesn't find the text I input. Yout suggestion won't allow it.

Suggest an answer