Adding custom field for client's name

Hi,

I need to add a custom field for client's name which will give me a list of existing values so I won't insert a duplicate name in DB. It should look something like that:

screenshot.PNG

Does JIRA have such fields?

4 answers

If you have an external DB with the client names, I would really recommend Database Custom Field free plugin. It did wonders for us.

Other option would be to use JIRA's Components field (if you don't really use it now). Regarding this options:

Pros:

• That way you could limit the options people choose.
  • You can assign users to lead each component (client).

Cons:

• Setting is per project. So if you have more than 1 project that needs this list - it might take a log of time to configure.

I've just tried to use field "Components".It seems OK for me. How can I rename this field into "Client's name"?

Since it's a JIRA system field (generic like Affected Versions and Fixed Versions) you can't rename it. But you can add a description below the field using Field Configuration. Go to the relevant one and search for "Component/s" - add a description there. If you must have a field with name "Client's name" you may consider adding a new new custom field of type Lables. It has the same functionality as Components (autocomplete, ability to add more clients on the fly) but lacks the ability to prevent specific users from adding new values/clients from within the field and ability to assign watchers and assignees to each label. Generally, I think this could be a good solution for you.

Fields with 'label' type don't allow to use spaces in names. Maybe you know how to avoid this restriction?

That was one of the reasons we stopped using labels too and moved to Database Custom Field plugin

Ok, I will add on it. First, Thanks Peter for the nice words of yours. Next, we are preparing something even better, check: http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/KCFPRO/Example+1+-+Huge+Data+Sets Is is available only on request for now.

Create a custom field 'Select List' and add their names, you can use this across all projects. The downside is that a site-admin is needed to add/remove names.

Also put the list in alphabetical order.

I need to create a new client's name at once in "create issue" window if the system doesn't find the text I input. Yout suggestion won't allow it.

0 votes

Are these existing usernames in JIRA?

no they are not jira user's it would be just clients' names

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,792 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot