Adding conditions to workflows

Imran Shishir
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 16, 2019

I am wondering if i can limit who is able to move to move an issue from one step to the next. 

In order to have better change control, I dont want the dev who worked on the ticket to be able to move the ticket To or From code review. Is it possible to only limit 1 person from making these kind of transitions?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2019

Hi Imran - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, you can put conditions on the transitions. It might be harder to restrict by a certain user in certain circumstances though. 

So, for your example it might be possible to exclude anyone that was already assigned the issue at a previous stage. The question would be if someone who was assigned to it earlier who is not the developer could move it. 

Imran Shishir
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 16, 2019

Thank you for your answer!

Do you have any insight as to how i wold go about this? Or any helpful articles? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2019

There is a Condition type called: Separation of Duties condition. Try that one out and see if it works for you. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Partibha Rani March 3, 2020

Hello Imran,

If you want to put restriction on the developer who worked on the issue, there are many conditions provided by JSU which might be useful for you.

• User in Role Condition : Put the developer into a particular role. and Restrict Role here.
  • User in Group Condition : Put the developer into a particular group. and Restrict group here.
  • User in Any users Conditions : Specify developer username and Restrict.
  • User in Custom Field : Put the Reviewer in a Custom Field and Restrict if User is not Reviewer Field.
  • JQL Condition :  key = {issue.key} AND status CHANGED FROM "X" to "Z" AND status = "Z"  by CurrentUser()

For more information, you may have a look at https://confluence-apps.beecom.ch/display/JSU/Workflow+Conditions and https://confluence-apps.beecom.ch/display/JSU/JQL+Condition

You can always reach us by our https://servicedesk-apps.beecom.ch/servicedesk/customer/portal/3

Thanks! 

0 votes
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2019

Hello Imran,

What you want to do is

1. edit your workflow and click on the transition you want to edit
  2. Then click on conditions and then click add condition
  3. From here you probably want to select either User is in group or User is in Project Role and click Add
  4. Then select the group or role and click Add again
  5. Publish the workflow and test it!

Here is also Atlassian's guide. Let me know if this helps. 

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2019

You can create a role or group for that 1 person and add that group or role to the condition. I recommend thinking what will work best if you scale your Jira instance and using a group or role, is better than individually naming one user.

Like Aleksandra_Maj likes this
Crystelle S
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2019

depending on your role (whether you are a jira admin or have jira admin rights) you likely want to constrain using "project role" as this will be accessible to anyone that is an admin at the project level. To use groups you will likely run into something of an administrative delay when adding or removing people from this constraint unless you are a jira admin.

Like # people like this
Aleksandra_Maj
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 26, 2020

Thanks for all the tips!

Suggest an answer