Adding comment when closing issue?

Will Yates June 11, 2013

Hello

Is it possible to configure jira to make it possible to add a comment when closing an issue? Presently the user has to do this in two separate steps: first add the comment then perform the close-action.

I am running Jira version 5.2.7 by the way.

3 answers

2 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2013

You would simply need a transition screen in the Close transition (they all include the comment field). You could even set a comment required validator if you want to have always a comment when closing an issue

Will Yates August 11, 2013

I have tried to follow your advice but I can't find the settings you are thinking of. Please provide a detailed instructions how to do what you describe. ("Go to this page, click this link, do this, et.c.")

Marten Kreienbrock
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2013

the functions he was speaking of can be found in the administration.

if you just want to add a comment you might have to create an empty screen first. this can be done if you click on "screens" under the "issues" menu. just click on "add screen" and give it some name. if you want, you could add any other issue field as well, but if its just the comment you are after, you are done.

To add the screen to the close transition, click on "workflows" under the "issues" menu.

Find your currently used workflow, click "edit", preferably switch to the test-version and click on a close-tranistion (probably called 'close issue').

Now you should see a page which allows you to edit this transition in many different ways. If you click on "edit this transition", there will be an option called transition view. Here you can select the screen you have created earlier. After you did this, just click update and publish the draft of the workflow (jira will probably remind you to do so by showing a message in a small blue banner)

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2013

Thanks Marten, for jumping in.

Beside that what Marten described in detail, you can look at the documentation for screens and workflows.

Hope that helps.

0 votes

I am running Jira version 5.2.7 by the way.

0 votes
Michal Crkon June 11, 2013

you can use resolve issue screen.

Someone needs to use more than resolution closed (wont fixed, fixed ….) Administration > workflows > find the project “i.e. GreenHopper Simplified Workflow for Project JP” > edit (with this step you will create a draft version of the workflow) > click on transition id “i.e. done or resolved( in the case user uses both resolution it is needed to do the same steps for both of them > edit transition>>add resolve issue screen in transition view > update > ( do for another status if needed) > publish

I think our usage of Jira invalidates your idea. Closing an issue and resolving it is two different actions for us. First the issue is resolved then closed.

Michal Crkon August 18, 2013

Will, if you use resolve issue screen , when clicked on close, the new screen pops up and you can celect type of closing ( ie done) and add comment. Then you submit your action. We are using it.

Suggest an answer