It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Adding checkboxes into issue description

Is there any way to add in dynamic checkbox elements into the description field of an issue?

Most of the issues we create are multi-faceted tasks which require many individual tasks/changes to be completed. While the formatting options allow us to make a list of these quite easily, those working on the issues currently are having to edit the description to append DONE or COMPLETED on the list items once they are finished.

It would save us a huge amount of time to have dynamic checkbox elements that would mark the completion of a certain item, and retain that status when viewed by other users, like the attached screenshot.

Checkbox

8 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted

No, this is not possible. You should use markups like "(x)" and "(/)". If you want more you must write your own plugin where you can put checkboxes via jQuery on comment field or what else.

(x) does this work?

(x) does this work?

(/) or this for that matter?

Like Stefanie.Ehemann likes this

Hey @Jasim Sajid, you may like to check out Smart Checklist plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216451/smart-checklist-for-jira-enterprise?hosting=cloud&tab=overview as well (available for Cloud, Server and Data Center).

Like # people like this

Both the Table Grid Editor for Cloud as the Table Grid Editor for Server allow to configure this use case by 

• Adding a column of checkbox type
  • Initialise the grid with the default tasks

2018-07-13_13-58-04.png

Check for more information here 

Thanks for your answers. Creating multiple subtasks wouldnt be ideal in our use case, as there are usually 10-12 different items to be completed for each issue. Mathias, the (/) is a great solution for the interim, thanks. In the future this would be a fantastic feature for JIRA.

I was tring to use  tick tag but if do that with below, i lost my bullet

tick - _My task name_ *\[3d]*

- (/) _My task name_ *\[3d]*
  • tick My task name [3d]
Like Deniz Ozkaynak likes this

Not possible and since you're on OnDemand I guess you can't develope plugins. Just a question: WHY don't you use subtasks? I mean it sounds like you were breaking up a task into subtasks and that can easily be done in JIRA...

Cheers

I don't know if this is still helpful, but we use the following:

In the description of the task, we enter:

{task:id=} (Name of Task 1) {task}

{task:id=} (Name of Task 2) {task}

{task:id=} (Name of Task 3) {task}

etc.

The Task ID is automatically assigned once you leave the field.

The checkboxes are clickable (see print Screen)

checkboxes.PNG

Greetings,

Marie

Marie, do you have a plugin installed that provides this functionality? This isn't standard out-of-the-box behavior for JIRA.

Any updates here?

We have a couple of Plug-Ins. But I do not know which one enables the display of these tasks.

@Marie Eckert - would love to know what plug-in enables this!

We ran into the same problem. Would be great to know about that plug-in!

wondering if there's any update on this functionality? thank you

We have modified the files for emoticons plus and minus and use it as chequed and unchequed:

Captura.PNG

These files are within the folder "Atlassian/JIRA/atlassian-jra/images/icons/emoticons/" in a windows server.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

376 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you