Adding checkboxes into issue description

Is there any way to add in dynamic checkbox elements into the description field of an issue?

Most of the issues we create are multi-faceted tasks which require many individual tasks/changes to be completed. While the formatting options allow us to make a list of these quite easily, those working on the issues currently are having to edit the description to append DONE or COMPLETED on the list items once they are finished.

It would save us a huge amount of time to have dynamic checkbox elements that would mark the completion of a certain item, and retain that status when viewed by other users, like the attached screenshot.

Checkbox

8 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

No, this is not possible. You should use markups like "(x)" and "(/)". If you want more you must write your own plugin where you can put checkboxes via jQuery on comment field or what else.

Both the Table Grid Editor for Cloud as the Table Grid Editor for Server allow to configure this use case by 

• Adding a column of checkbox type
  • Initialise the grid with the default tasks

2018-07-13_13-58-04.png

Check for more information here 

Thanks for your answers. Creating multiple subtasks wouldnt be ideal in our use case, as there are usually 10-12 different items to be completed for each issue. Mathias, the (/) is a great solution for the interim, thanks. In the future this would be a fantastic feature for JIRA.

I was tring to use  tick tag but if do that with below, i lost my bullet

tick - _My task name_ *\[3d]*

- (/) _My task name_ *\[3d]*
  • tick My task name [3d]

Not possible and since you're on OnDemand I guess you can't develope plugins. Just a question: WHY don't you use subtasks? I mean it sounds like you were breaking up a task into subtasks and that can easily be done in JIRA...

Cheers

I don't know if this is still helpful, but we use the following:

In the description of the task, we enter:

{task:id=} (Name of Task 1) {task}

{task:id=} (Name of Task 2) {task}

{task:id=} (Name of Task 3) {task}

etc.

The Task ID is automatically assigned once you leave the field.

The checkboxes are clickable (see print Screen)

checkboxes.PNG

Greetings,

Marie

Daniel Eads Community Champion Sep 29, 2015

Marie, do you have a plugin installed that provides this functionality? This isn't standard out-of-the-box behavior for JIRA.

We have a couple of Plug-Ins. But I do not know which one enables the display of these tasks.

@Marie Eckert - would love to know what plug-in enables this!

We ran into the same problem. Would be great to know about that plug-in!

wondering if there's any update on this functionality? thank you

We have modified the files for emoticons plus and minus and use it as chequed and unchequed:

Captura.PNG

These files are within the folder "Atlassian/JIRA/atlassian-jra/images/icons/emoticons/" in a windows server.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

148 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you