Adding checkboxes into issue description

Is there any way to add in dynamic checkbox elements into the description field of an issue?

Most of the issues we create are multi-faceted tasks which require many individual tasks/changes to be completed. While the formatting options allow us to make a list of these quite easily, those working on the issues currently are having to edit the description to append DONE or COMPLETED on the list items once they are finished.

It would save us a huge amount of time to have dynamic checkbox elements that would mark the completion of a certain item, and retain that status when viewed by other users, like the attached screenshot.

Checkbox

8 answers

1 accepted

No, this is not possible. You should use markups like "(x)" and "(/)". If you want more you must write your own plugin where you can put checkboxes via jQuery on comment field or what else.

Thanks for your answers. Creating multiple subtasks wouldnt be ideal in our use case, as there are usually 10-12 different items to be completed for each issue. Mathias, the (/) is a great solution for the interim, thanks. In the future this would be a fantastic feature for JIRA.

I was tring to use  tick tag but if do that with below, i lost my bullet

tick - _My task name_ *\[3d]*

Not possible and since you're on OnDemand I guess you can't develope plugins. Just a question: WHY don't you use subtasks? I mean it sounds like you were breaking up a task into subtasks and that can easily be done in JIRA...

Cheers

I don't know if this is still helpful, but we use the following:

In the description of the task, we enter:

{task:id=} (Name of Task 1) {task}

{task:id=} (Name of Task 2) {task}

{task:id=} (Name of Task 3) {task}

etc.

The Task ID is automatically assigned once you leave the field.

The checkboxes are clickable (see print Screen)

checkboxes.PNG

Greetings,

Marie

Daniel Eads Community Champion Sep 29, 2015

Marie, do you have a plugin installed that provides this functionality? This isn't standard out-of-the-box behavior for JIRA.

We have a couple of Plug-Ins. But I do not know which one enables the display of these tasks.

@Marie Eckert - would love to know what plug-in enables this!

We ran into the same problem. Would be great to know about that plug-in!

wondering if there's any update on this functionality? thank you

We have modified the files for emoticons plus and minus and use it as chequed and unchequed:

Captura.PNG

These files are within the folder "Atlassian/JIRA/atlassian-jra/images/icons/emoticons/" in a windows server.

You can try Smart Checklist Jira plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/rw-smart-checklist-biz/cloud/overview

It provides you with exactly what you were looking for:

• Managing several tasks within one Jira issue by creating checklists
  • Changing an item's status (within the checklist) from ToDo to In Progress, or Done.
  • View the issue progress from the Agile board, as for example 12/30, where 30 - the total number of items on the list, and 12 - the completed one's.
  • You can also use the editor which support Markdown formatting syntax (which is good for creation of big lists with headlines and groups) 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,312 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot