Adding a filter to a gadget

Mitchell Demler November 15, 2011

Our company is currently using Sites for Google Apps and we are trying to integrate some JIRA functionality into the sites.

I understand that as both JIRA onDemand and Google Sites use the Open Social container, it is possible to simply put a JIRA gadget on a Google Site. I have done this by grabbing the JIRA Gadget URL and putting it on a Site. This works great.

Is there a way to automatically authorise, or remember, a gadget's permissions (instead of clicking 'Authorize' every time you view the site)? Also is it possible to remember a gadget's filters?

For example we will have a site for most of our major projects, and it would be good to have an Activity Stream specific to a JIRA project on each site. It is not ideal for every viewer to add a filter to view their project every time they open the site.

If someone could point me in the direction of the correct documentation, that would be immensely helpful. Google doesn't seem to be churning out any useful results.

Thanks,

Mitchell

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
TimT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2011

Hi Mitchell,

It looks like Google Sites has some distinctive, non-standard requirements that may be interfering with the standard JIRA gadgets.

I've just read over the documentation for Sites gadgets and here's what I've found:

• The API for setting preferences appears not to work in the normal display view, if I understand the docs correctly. This is why selected filters get lost on reload.
  • Instead, they provide for a non-standard configuration view, where the person editing the page can set up the preferences for the gadget. This is similar to the way it works when you include a JIRA gadget in Confluence, but because it isn't a standard part of the gadgets spec, there are some differences in the way it works that mean that the JIRA gadgets can't be configured (persistently) in Google Sites without building in specific support for it. I don't know whether that's planned for JIRA, but it would be a good feature request to raise on JAC.
  • In the meantime, it may be possible to create your own gadget by mimicking the standard JIRA gadget XML but following the Gadgets for Google Sites guide to support their configuration view.
  • I'm not sure about OAuth. I don't see any reference to it in the Gadgets for Google Sites documentation. It's not clear whether Google Sites supports OAuth at all.

Suggest an answer