Adding a component during issue creation, does anything get sent to Jira?

Jon Jones October 9, 2018

We've been asked if it's possible to prepopulate default text in the Description field, based on which Component/s are selected during issue creation. Assuming we can use either Adaptavist ScriptRunner's Behaviours or CPrime PowerScripts SIL Listener or javascript injection, is this even possible? I get the impression that since the Component/s field functions similar to a Label field, that there's probably no way to have the form be aware that different selections are being made in Component/s.

I realise that there's probably a better way to do this (using separate fields, or a workflow), but I'm being asked if this is possible and I'd like to confirm what I suspect.

1 answer

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2018

Hello JonJ,

It's possible to populate JIRA Description based on the value of any fields, including Components.

Please, check the answer below so you can have some insights on how you can do that using Behaviors:

Dynamically populating text field based on selection

Jon Jones October 9, 2018

Thank you-- I looked at the link, but it didn't seem to say if this was happening through multiple workflow steps or during lightbox or "old" issue creation. What my customer wants is to have different default text appear in the Description field depending on what gets added to the Component/s field, without changing statuses in the workflow.

Suggest an answer