Adding Themes, Features or Initiatives in Next Gen Projects?

Raj Chhokar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 15, 2019

Hi, I am using the Next Generation Project version of JIRA. Is it possible to add Themes, Features or Epics? I have admin access but can't seem to find these options. I am looking for a way to organise my epics into related themes of work. Can you help with this?

1 answer

1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 16, 2019

Hello Raj,

Thanks for reaching out and first, "Epics" are a native function in the next-gen projects, and additional details on working with epics in a next-gen project type can be found in: "Manage epics in next-gen projects" 

As for features and themes, Themes are an additional function provided by the add-on app Jira Portfolio, and I believe what you are looking for in Features lines up with the terminology "initiative" for a corresponding functionality of Portfolio.  details on the capabilities can be seen in the article "Epics, Stories, Themes, and Initiatives" 

However, Portfolio can import issues from a next-gen project it is NOT currently compatible with the next-gen project types, and a majority of the functionality will not cross over when using a next-gen project, so the use of the classic Project template would be the recommended approach,  Additional details on the functionality loss of Portfolio when using a Next-Gen project types can be seen here: "Portfolio for Jira next-gen support" 

Regards,
Earl

Raj Chhokar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 16, 2019

Ok, thanks Earl

Like Stuart Tennison likes this

Suggest an answer