Adding Status Filter to Backlog in Cloud Jira

Melissa H. Ryan June 28, 2019

We have the Cloud version of Jira.  I previously had the Server version of Jira and was used to adding filters to the backlog.  I would like to add a filter to the backlog for status.  How do I do this in the Cloud version? If I just search "In QA" for instance I don't get those stories that are "In QA."

2 answers

11 votes
Jaz Wilkinson February 8, 2022

Why would anyone NOT want to filter completed issues out of a backlog? This is a must have feature.

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2019

Hi Melissa,

It sounds like on the Server Jira install you were on, had quick filters configured for the boards.  You can set up "Quick Filters" in Jira Cloud on Classic Project types for each status you want to filter out, using JQL.   EXE set up a filter using the JQL  status in ("In QA") to get issues only in that status when selected.

Details on Setting these up can be found in "Configuring Quick Filters"

An additional note on what I mentioned above where you can set this up for "Classic Projects", is that currently quick filters are not available in Next-Gen Projects.  So make sure to use a Classic Project type for this functionality, and we are tracking progress of this feature in next-gen at the following feature request:

Regards,
Earl

Hari Shankar September 30, 2020

@Earl McCutcheon Is there any update for backlog filter like server ?

Justin May 20, 2021

@Earl McCutcheon Looking for an update on this. I have a backlog list that I'd love to filter by status instead of clicking each individually. thanks

Like # people like this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2021

Hello,

There was an update on the feature request in February 2021:

Atlassian status as of February 2021

Hello all,

Thank you for watching, voting, and commenting on this issue.

We use this data as well as many other inputs to feed into our prioritisation process. Improving the filtering options on a next-gen backlog/board is something that will be investigating very soon. In the spirit of how we are building next-gen, we will be looking to understand how much we filtering control we can put into the hands of each user individually, whilst also balancing that with the ability for the team to have quick defaults. The results of the investigation will help plan out our roadmap on how we ladder up to the quick filters feature that users of classic projects are familiar with. We want to share this with you to ensure you can plan out your use of projects within Jira Software effectively.

In a couple of months, we can provide an update on how this investigation has progressed and in the short term we recommend teams use classic projects where quick filters are a must. We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause you.

Please continue to vote and in particular please continue to add comments on how your teams find value with quick filters. This contextual information of what you are doing and why you are doing is invaluable for us in providing you with a product that will grow with your needs.

Thank you,
Eoin Ryan
Product Manager

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer