Adding Notes to an attachment

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2017

I deal with lots of attachemnts in each ticket and they need to be explained via a short note. Is there a way I can add note field to each attachment?

Seems odd that JIRA out of the box does not have asomething like this. 

thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2017

Not out of the box. It is possible to include a download link to an attachment in a comment or the description using text formatting or wiki markup. The wiki markup looks like this:

Here is a link to my [attached file|^test_file.txt].

You could leave a comment for each file and leave a description along with a link to the appropriate file. You could also update the description or create some other custom field using the Text (multi-line) custom field type to store this information.

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2017

thank you @alex. 

Looks like the attachment itself as a source of information is not something Atlassian beleive in. It must always be a comment referencing that attachment. 

I appreciate your help .

Suggest an answer