Adding Issue Link in Comment

Alex Evanciew March 9, 2018

My company is using JIRA Cloud and I have admin permissions. Members of my project team have roles of "Developer". 

I am able to add issue links to a comment by simply typing issue-number ex: TEST-11. No special characters, no linking button, just exact text of issue name. No one else is able to add an issue link in their comments. I've added Developers to the 'Browse-Project' permission per some slightly similar help topics, but it is not working. Is there a specific permission I should be using?

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Evanciew June 27, 2018

As an update to this issue - my team was noticing issues in creating a link when they wrote a comment on the ticket modal when viewing from the board. If navigating to the actual issue URL and leaving a comment, the markup works correctly. It seems that the markup used in the comment field when commenting from a JIRA board is different from the actual page. 

Ruth Chen August 2, 2018

Also experiencing this.

Scott Buchanan August 28, 2018

It appears this is currently a limitation of the new Markdown-based issue editor. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html#ThenewJiraissueview-NewAtlassianeditor

1 vote
Anatoly Spektor May 29, 2019

Adding issue link is most certainly much harder then I have expected. I have tried #ISSUE , [ISSUE] and to be honest to my surprise none of them worked. I found only 2 ways that it works and both are related to actually pasting a link.

I did a small tutorial on this on Youtube in case you learn better via video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USj7HKy1u6w

R_ Nsinga July 22, 2020

That second way (copy/paste the issue key) is the closest to a good answer to the question, thank you @Anatoly Spektor

1 vote
Avida Hancock June 26, 2018

@Gaston Valente could you help me too please? Sometimes the issue number appears as a live link and sometimes it doesn't. Can I do anything to force the link to appear?

I am admin. I set up the board. US linked in comments.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-26 at 09.17.14.png

0 votes
Jeff Gunawan March 9, 2021

Our Cloud environment experiences from time to time as well. Is Atlassian aware of this inconsistency? I wonder if there is an existing inquiry that they're working on...

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2018

Alex,

If the user writing the comment has the browse project permission for the project of the linked issue it should work.

Can you post an screenshot?

Alex Evanciew March 12, 2018

Thanks for the response Gaston - there may have been a delay in the settings update? Or just something being buggy, but everyone who could browse issues before (linking issues from the same project) but not actually link in comments can now do so. 

@Gaston Valente - could you help me too please? Sometimes the live link appears automatically and sometimes it does not. Is there anything I can do to activate the link? 

Perhaps the live link does not appear on backlog items - only once they are in the workstreams?

See screenshots.US linked in comments.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-26 at 09.17.14.png

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2018

Avida,

Do you have browse permission in XP?

Does XP-27 has a security level that you can access?

Can you type XP-8 in the same comment that XP-27 appears just to try?

Suggest an answer