Added broken JavaScript to the description of the description field and cannot remove it

Jeremy Schrecengost January 5, 2018

I was trying to add some custom JavaScript to the Description of the (built-in) description field for a custom field layout.

After I added it the field is no longer editable in the Configure Field Layout screen.

Capture.JPG

Also all fields below that in custom field layout or issue create do not display.

I have access to the db and box we have hosting JIRA but I cannot figure out where the data is stored. 

Any thoughts?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

Ah, another good reason not to inject javascript in Atlassian applications ;-)

You might try this:

Look at the line above the description in the list of fields.

Hover over the "edit" link, it should look something like:

https://yourjira/jira/secure/admin/EditFieldLayoutItem!default.jspa?atl_token=<some junk>&id=10100&position=5

Copy that link and then paste it into the browser, adding one to the number that is after position= (so in my example, you'd use position=6)

That should get you to the edit screen, so you can remove or correct the javascript!

YES - that worked thanks so much!

I would not usually add javascript to the description but I am trying to get some templates without buying another add-on :D

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

I don't mind it when it's the simple stuff, but I tend to come across a lot of broken installations where people simply shouldn't be using it.

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018

Hello,

Try customfield table.

Description is a built in field (default to JIRA) and does not live in the customfield table

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018

But it must be somewhere:) Unfortunately I am on holidays now and I do not have access to Jira database. It was just a guess.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

jiraissue table? 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

No, it is not there ;) You need to find a table with custom layouts I guess. Ok. Now I think I got it

Suggest an answer