It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Add time estimates to tasks, story points to stories, auto roll-up to epics

10 years Agile (manually and on Rally) - New to Jira - finding it a bit of a mystery.

I have - in standard agile nomenclature:

Epics --> Stories --> Tasks (I think Jira uses different names - sub-tasks?)

I want to add time estimates to tasks, story points to stories, and have the epic automatically show a sum of all stories in an epic.

E.g.

If I have an epic which contains 2 stories, storyA, a 3 pointer and storyB, an 8-pointer

The Epic should automatically add the 2 stories together to give the epic 11-points.

Story A also has 2 tasks - taskA, ½ day and taskB, 3 days

How do I put this all into Jira?

I can see nothing to do with story points in stories or time estimates in tasks?

As you can see, I am totally confused.

1 answer

Hello David,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You got it right. JIRA has the following hierarchy levels:  EPIC -> Story/Task > Sub-task.

Per your description, I clearly understand that you are trying to sum up the story points of your Stories to their related Epics.

Unfortunately, JIRA does not have a way to add that sum to a field of the Epic right on the issue view, however, we have a feature request to add this functionality:

Sum story points or hour estimates for any epic links 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

As a workaround, you can see that sum in the Epic Panel of a Board. These would be the steps:

1 - Create your Epic and your stories with their respective estimations

2 - Create a Scrum board to display your issues, as described in the tutorial below:

- Creating your Agile board 

3 - Once your board is created, click in the three dots menu at the top-right corner of the board > Board settings > Estimation > Select the estimation to be based on Story Points

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 16.24.43.png

4 - Back to your board backlog, click to display the Epic panel and the sum of all the Stories related to that epic will appear in the Estimation:

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 16.25.21.png

Additionally, there is a third-party app that you can use to properly sum any kind of fields (Including Story points) to your Epics, displaying it in the issue view:

Epic Sum-up 

Please, let me know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

343 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you