Add time estimates to tasks, story points to stories, auto roll-up to epics

David Rawle November 8, 2019

10 years Agile (manually and on Rally) - New to Jira - finding it a bit of a mystery.

I have - in standard agile nomenclature:

Epics --> Stories --> Tasks (I think Jira uses different names - sub-tasks?)

I want to add time estimates to tasks, story points to stories, and have the epic automatically show a sum of all stories in an epic.

E.g.

If I have an epic which contains 2 stories, storyA, a 3 pointer and storyB, an 8-pointer

The Epic should automatically add the 2 stories together to give the epic 11-points.

Story A also has 2 tasks - taskA, ½ day and taskB, 3 days

How do I put this all into Jira?

I can see nothing to do with story points in stories or time estimates in tasks?

As you can see, I am totally confused.

1 answer

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2019

Hello David,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You got it right. JIRA has the following hierarchy levels:  EPIC -> Story/Task > Sub-task.

Per your description, I clearly understand that you are trying to sum up the story points of your Stories to their related Epics.

Unfortunately, JIRA does not have a way to add that sum to a field of the Epic right on the issue view, however, we have a feature request to add this functionality:

Sum story points or hour estimates for any epic links 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

As a workaround, you can see that sum in the Epic Panel of a Board. These would be the steps:

1 - Create your Epic and your stories with their respective estimations

2 - Create a Scrum board to display your issues, as described in the tutorial below:

- Creating your Agile board 

3 - Once your board is created, click in the three dots menu at the top-right corner of the board > Board settings > Estimation > Select the estimation to be based on Story Points

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 16.24.43.png

4 - Back to your board backlog, click to display the Epic panel and the sum of all the Stories related to that epic will appear in the Estimation:

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 16.25.21.png

Additionally, there is a third-party app that you can use to properly sum any kind of fields (Including Story points) to your Epics, displaying it in the issue view:

Epic Sum-up 

Please, let me know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer