Add issue to sprint based on date in issue

Tracy Powell June 30, 2021

We have issues that get created which may need to be done on/by a specific date which is entered into a custom field on issues. I want to be able to create a Jira automation to move a newly created issue into an existing sprint based on the date in the issue and the start/end dates on the existing sprints.

GIVEN a sprint with an end date
WHEN a new issue is created with a date specified less than the sprint end date
THEN the new issue is added to the sprint.

Is this possible with Jira automations?

3 answers

0 votes
Tracy Powell April 18, 2022

I've worked around this with a bit of a "hack". I'm just checking if the due date is within the next 14 days, and if so, moving the issue to the active sprint. It's not ideal, but it will be a bit more help than nothing.

move to current sprint.png

0 votes
Jenn Sherman April 14, 2022

I have the need for this too.  Our Jira is linked to another system (airtable) and when airtable triggers the creation of a story in Jira the story has a due date.  I'd like the story to be put into the future sprint that goes with that due date so when my team is doing their sprint planning, the story is "suggested" for that sprint.  It makes the planning go a little faster as they don't have to search for stories and can get a sense of what their next sprints might look like.

Hey, Jenn. I'd love this as well. Perhaps at a minimum you could use the "Next sprint" option?

next sprint automation.png

I've created a bit of a hack for my use case that kind of works. I'll post it as a separate answer here.

0 votes
Sadeesh Narendran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2021

@Tracy Powell

Yes its possible by filtering the issue which needs to be added to active sprint and change the respective issues Sprint value to active sprint value.

But you are mixing Scrum & Kanban practices.

In Scrum - the issues will not be added to sprint unless until its very essential to meet the sprint goal / to deliver the deliverables of that sprint.

In Kanban - the top priority issues will be given importance to be completed as your case issue which has need to be done date.

Hey, Sadeesh. Yes, I understand this is a bit of a mix of scrum and kanban. It doesn't make sense for my team to work off 2 boards (one scrum and one kanban) and we are currently using scrum. The items that I need to move into the current sprint are support tickets - so either bugs or customer requests unrelated to feature development. These are time sensitive, so we need to scope change by adding them to the sprint. They are typically in the 1 story point range or less.

I don't understand how you are suggesting I would do this within Jira automation:

Yes its possible by filtering the issue which needs to be added to active sprint and change the respective issues Sprint value to active sprint value.

Could you share more specific details please?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events