Add issue fields into Summary using Jira automation

Muriel Assmann March 20, 2024

Hello, 

What I want to achieve with the automation: create several new issues from one. The new issues will copy most of the values from the trigger issue, with some differences.

My problem: {{issue.fixVersion.name}} won't appear in the issue Summary.

Basically, I want the automation rule to look at the fix version of the trigger issue and to copy that value into my new issues Summaries.

What my rule looks like atm:

jira-edit-issue.jpg

jira-summary-edit.jpg

Note 1: I added "For all created issues" branching node because otherwise it was changing my trigger issue.

Note 2: I added "Re-fetch issue data" because I thought that would make the automation to re-fetch the fix version value, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Here's what my trigger issue looks like:

jira-trigger-issue.jpg

And here's what the rule is returning, with the arrow pointing to where I'd like the fix version value to appear:

jira-result-issue.jpg

Your help is much appreciated, thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2024

Hello @Muriel Assmann ~ I believe the correct syntax is {{issue.fixVersions.name}}.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2024

Hi @Muriel Assmann 

Yes, and...to Laurie's answer:

Why not set those fields at the same time as issue creation rather than using the separate edit...including the change to the summary?

They could copy from the Trigger Issue, or use the smart values from: {{triggerIssue}}

Also, do you ever expect issues to be in multiple fix versions?  If so, that reference to the version names in the summary could contain values separated by commas, such as this made up example:

[UI Translations] Data Containers FD-2404 / 5.25.0, 5.26.0, 5.26.1 PQ Test

Kind regards,
Bill

Like # people like this
Muriel Assmann March 25, 2024

@Laurie Sciutti You're right, the "s" was missing

In my defense, I find Jira's smart values page a bit misleading in this regard, as it literally states "{{issue.fixVersion.name}}", without the "s". 

@Bill Sheboy 

If I set the summary change together with the other changes, it simply doesn't work. I believe that the automation has to re-fetch the issue data beforehand in order to change the summary... Any idea why? So the following config doesn't yield the desired result:

jira-summary-together.jpg

Also, I tried setting up all the changes together with issue creation, but that ended up changing the trigger issue itself; which I really don't understand why. But that's why I ended up adding the "edit issue fields" rule...

I won't have multiple versions in the future, so just one should be fine.

Thanks for your help!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2024

Hmmm...that is quite odd.  Here is the rule I was suggesting:

• trigger: manual
  • action: create new issue, setting fields as needed and copying others from the {{triggerIssue}}

Without seeing the exact rule action (and audit log details) it is difficult to learn why that would not work for your rule.

You are using Jira Data Center, and so there could be differences in smart values and their availability...Although the documentation says they are all available: https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/jira-smart-values-issues-993924860.html#Jirasmartvaluesissues-triggerIssuetriggerIssue

Like Muriel Assmann likes this

Suggest an answer