Add group as watcher for a ticket

Vishal Rekala December 18, 2013

How do i add jira-user group as watcher to a ticket in jira.

Lets say i have group called "A" which has user1, user2 and user3.

I want to add these people as watcher to a ticket. Instead of adding individual users, is there a way i can add group "A" as watcher so that everyone in that group will get notified?

Thanks!!!

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2013

Watchers are individuals, you can't add groups to it.

There's a workaround - have a dummy user account with a group email address (distribution list)

Vishal Rekala December 18, 2013

But this way, i loose one license for nothing.

Like Dylan Pokun likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2013

Yes, I'm afraid you do.

But watchers are individual accounts, so that's the only way to do it with watchers.

If you're willing to move away from "watching", then you have another option. Add a custom-field of type "group picker", then add "event: custom group field" to the notification scheme.

That lets you add group notifications, but only as a field on the issue, not as a "watcher". It won't consume a licence though.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2013

already @Nichas explained well, feature request has already submitted here so voteup to implement this feature

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-12913

Benjamin Peikes May 18, 2017

And as usual, Atlassian has deemed this as not important enough to implement. Something as simple as allowing you to type in a group name and have all the users for that group added would suffice for now.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer