Add file to a custom field

Mohin Uddin April 28, 2014

Hi Expert,

I am using jira version 6.2.3 and I want to add a pdf file to a custom filed using hyper link.I already implementation HTML to cusom field edit option.Now my question is which folder should I need to upload this pdf file under jira home directory for linking?

Please help me regarding this issue?

Thanks

Mohin

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2014

I don't understand what you are doing here.

There are three possibilities I can think of:

1. The screen shot seems to show that you are using the link section. This is for linking to external urls. It does NOT add files to Jira, it really is JUST a link to a url. You'll need to be hosting the file on a server which provides the file on the url you put in there (yes, you could use the Jira server, but the service exposing the file over that url is going to have to be installed, configured and run outside Jira)

2. You could use the attachments "field" - this asks you for the file and uploads a copy of the file on to the Jira server, and then keeps it with the issue

3. You mention a custom field, which means not links or attachments. Jira doesn't have any custom fields that handle files, so if you really do mean a custom field, you'll need to tell us how you've created that field - what plugin is it and what does it do?

So, I guess the question is which one of these three you're trying to do. (Or we need another description if it's none of these)

Mohin Uddin April 28, 2014

Thanks Nic.

As per your first point-I would like to upload to jira server and then want to put this link in this"Click here".Is it possible to upload in jira server?If possible please share the folder name where I need to upload this file.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2014

I'm not sure you understood what I'm getting at here (My apologies, I know my writing style is unclear a lot of the time. I find it difficult to translate the patterns I see in my mind into plain written English)

You need to define somewhere to keep the file. You keep saying "upload this file", but what do you mean here? Where are you keeping the file? Where is the upload going to? How are you doing it? What services are you running to provide the file storage you want to upload to?

Note that the only "upload" in Jira is the "attachments" area that will handle this for you. Use "attach file", and it will let you "upload" your file and have it appear attached to the issue. Jira will keep the files in its attachments directory and expose them on the issues.

kelly kingston December 13, 2018

I think what Mohin is asking for is the same thing I would like. In the Jira service desk, in a screen I am building, as one of the custom fields I would like to include a form as a hyper link, so that I can direct the user to a specific form that I want them to complete and then attach it to the task once completed.  I am aware of the field to allow them to upload documents, but I want to direct them to a particular document first. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 13, 2018

That sort of makes sense, but it's a rotten thing to do to your users.  Why not just ask them for the information you need in the form on the actual request?

I know I despise systems that say "hey, here's some stuff, but now you have to go open up something else, save it and then attach it to the place you've just landed in the hopes of doing something that should be 'answer some questions'"

Suggest an answer