Add fields for tester/reviewer?

Amir Colnect November 17, 2018

In the default software project scheme, each issue has a "Reporter" and "Assignee". We would like to add "Reviewer" and "Tester", both people on the team, and possibly change "Assignee" to "Responsible". What's the easiest way to achieve that and ensure these 2 new fields are found in every screen next to the previous two mentioned?

It doesn't appear that the custom field configuration is a very straight forward process

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2018

Hello,

Reporter and Assignee fields are not custom fields. These fields are system fields. You can not change the names of the fields.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2018

But there's no harm in adding Reviewer and Tester as custom fields.  I'd suggest using the user-picker type for them.

Like # people like this
Amir Colnect November 18, 2018

Nic, could you please follow up with clearer instructions on how the fields would be added and included across the different screens of Jira?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2018

You can find info on how to create a custom field and add it to a screen here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/adding-editing-and-deleting-a-custom-field-776636410.html

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2018

I can't add to Alexey's answer here - that's exactly the page I'd refer to as well.

Robert Sieczkoś November 19, 2018

Hi Nic Brough can help me with my problem?

Below is me problem.

"

I have plugin Assets and Inventory on my Jira but i can not add info about expired date time of purchasing product to task in jira.

https://confluence.snapbytes.com/download/attachments/10027335/image2017-8-1%2022%3A4%3A41.png?version=1&modificationDate=1501614282925&api=v2&effects=border-simple,shadow-kn

Upper i add link with screen and what i would like to have.

Could You send me information how make to this ?"

Amir Colnect November 20, 2018

@Alexey MatveevThank you for the link. As everything in Jira, it's much more complex than it should be. I added my two new fields and associated them with ALL SCREENS but they still don't appear. Nicely there's an "Admin" button and inside it "Where's my field?" which explains why they're not shown "The field 'Reviewer' does not have value for issue CMXS-9 and will not be displayed on the view issue page. Set value for that field so that it shows up."

But I want this field to ALWAYS be shown, even if no value is set to it. How can I do that?

This is so cumbersome really and considering the loading of every page takes ~3-8 seconds (Jira cloud is slowwwww....) it's quite frustrating... Thanks

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2018

If a custom field does not have a value, then it will not be shown on the view screen. That is how Jira works. The only thing you can do is to specify a default value for this custom field.

Thank you for your answer. Jira has so many lame aspects it's surprising that it's still one of the top solutions on the market.

So I've added a default (for some reason I can't set "Unassigned" as default even though "Assignee" field has it) and of course it doesn't affect the other thousands of issues we have. Should I conclude there's no better way than assign a value as needed as an admin?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2018

Assignee is a system field, that is why it has the Unassigned option. Custom fields do not have it. You should add a default value, but this value will not be added to the old issues.

You should use the bulk edit feature to set the default value for the old issues.

You should go to the Issue navigator and type 

yourcustomfield is empty

Then you can set the default value for these issues. You can find more info about bulk edit here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/editing-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time-861257342.html

Like Amir Colnect likes this

Thanks for the tips and I'll definitely use them. It is disappointing though that Jira isn't as flexible as one would expect.

Like Ian likes this
Max Cascone March 15, 2019

@Amir Colnect i mean this in the most friendly, welcoming way... get used to it. :)

Like Ian likes this
lauren_betz March 20, 2023

it is now 4 years later, any chance there have been any improvements in this area? Are there more built in features for tracking the review process?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2023

@lauren_betz - people add the fields they need, then automate the processes. So, yes, reviews work for most of us.  Where are you stuck?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2023

What would you expect as an "improvement", given that it has worked fine for a couple of decades now?

lauren_betz March 20, 2023

Hey Nic, I want to add a reviewer field that can be assigned or unassigned. And ideally once the task is in review I would like that task to show up on a sprint board when the only the reviewer is selected. Is this currently possible using custom fields?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2023

Yes, you can add a custom field (user picker) to do that.

Like Kai Sedat likes this
lauren_betz March 22, 2023

Ok great. In reviewing fields list I noticed there is a field called "Approver" that already exists, would it make sense to use this field for this? Or is there a reason a custom field would better solve this?

lauren_betz March 28, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  any thoughts on the "Approver" field and whether it would be useful here?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2023

That's a good idea, and it's worth looking at!

It will be down to your processes though.  Generally an "Approver" is someone who would look at a new piece of work that is arriving through a Service Desk,

It's a bit earlier in the process - Jira tends to assume an approver will be looking at change requesta, a request for a new piece of kit like a laptop, holiday request, a demand for more expensive cat food (I get asked that every day, my approver turns them all down). 

It is mostly intended for "do not spend time or money on this until the approver says yes".

But if you don't have that role, or you've implemented it differently, then yes, approver would be a neat drop-in for reviewer.  It's just later in the process.  "I approve this thing" means "I've reviewed it and it's ready for the next steps"

1 vote
will_wilson March 28, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 
We also are looking at improving the review process just like the other two members above.

By default, Assignee is on and you can select from your company - great 
People can then click assignee to me and see everything they are on 
It also appears on the sprint board as a User icon

I would like the same to happen for reviewers when we do "people field" and name it reviewers - correct we do get a list of the company to select from - and it appears on the ticket - great

- However, it does NOT appear on the small cards (summary) on the board (it should) ie on left is the assignee (person responsible for the work) and on right is the reviewers so a few icons
- When you click on your name or "only my issues" to find items assigned to you - the filter does not take into account other people's fields only the main assignee one

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, that's correct, the assignee field is the person responsible for getting it done.  Your reviewer field is just someone associated with it as a reviewer.

I would probably take a look at copying the reviewer into the assignee field when the issue reaches the review stage.

Suggest an answer