• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Add column to backlog board

Hi - how can I add a column to this view of my current sprint and backlog? I want to add "Status" as one of the columns when listing issues in the sprint and backlog. Thanks! SP

Screenshot of Google Chrome (1-28-20, 11-39-55 AM).png

2 answers

Hi Scott,

I'm pretty sure that this is not possible. At least not in a default Jira instance but I'm also not aware of any apps adding this functionality. So more than the three little lozenges with the color of the status categories and your story point estimations in the upper right will be difficult. Sorry about that!

Do you really need that column? Basically every issue in the backlog should still be something like a "To Do" while you can get an overview of the other issues and their status on the board in the active sprint. Have you thought about using a dashboard?

Best, Max

I've been digging too, I can't see anything that might help.  But given the heavy Agile stuff I've been doing since Christmas, I tend to think this is right.  You don't care about the specific status of issues in a backlog.

Here's a discussion thread with more support for the functionality that may be helpful. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/add-columns-to-backlog/qaq-p/417074

The Backlog view could be a really useful view for planning and prioritization if it had a few more columns. As noted in the above link, the columns needed will be different for each team but this seems like the best view to have the holistic view needed for planning.

I would love to be able to offer that flexibility to my users.

Since some contributors have suggested that the backlog isn't the right place to do this, and since others have suggested this simply isn't possible; then what view do you use for a holistic view of the all outstanding items for the purposes of overall prioritization and planning? 

I agree that you should be careful with adding columns to your backlog as a general rule of thimb, but taking e.g. the Component element into consideration it would actually be very helpful to have the possibility to add this to the cloumn section of the backlog for priority reasons. 

I know that it is possile to add as a field, but to be honest, adding a field kind of destroys the usability (look&Feel) in the backlog overview - in my oppinion.

So - Is there a way to add columns? Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you