Add an additional issue type to an existing project

Anders Hebert March 22, 2024

On a Jira-project (Company Managed project) we are using a couple of Issue types (Epics and Tasks)

I wish to add an additional issue type to this project, but I wish that this new issue type shall have a different issue layout (different fields). I also need the new issue type to be able to have sub-tasks.

I added new Issue type to the project (just a standard Issue type), but I understand that the layout and fields of the new Issue type is associated to the same screen as the original Issue types - and therefore I cannot customize the new Issue type without updating the other issue types. 

I have tried to create a new screen, a new screen scheme and tried associating it with the project.... but I have been going around in circles for a couple of hours, I have been unable to figure out how to solve this without what seems associate all Issue types... 

Can someone please describe in a very basic step-by-step - how I can solve this...

Probably a very simple solution, when you know how :-)

2 answers

1 vote
Marcin Krasicki March 22, 2024

try this:

Create a new issue type:
Navigate to Jira settings > Issues.
Under Issue types, click on Add issue type.
Enter the name and description for your new issue type and click Add.
Add the new issue type to your project:
Navigate to your project, then go to Project settings > Issue types.
Click on Add issue type.
Select the issue type you created and click Add.
Create a new screen:
Under Screens, click on Screens.
Click on Add screen, enter a name and description, and click Add.
On the next screen, you can add or remove fields to customize your screen layout.
Associate the new screen with the new issue type:
Still under Issues, go to Screen schemes.
Click on Add screen scheme, enter a name and description, and click Add.
Click on Configure next to your new screen scheme.
Click on Associate an issue type with a screen.
Select your new issue type and screen, and click Associate.
Associate the new screen scheme with your project:
Still under Issues, go to Issue type screen schemes.
Click on Associate an issue type screen scheme with a project.
Select your project and your new issue type screen scheme, and click Associate.
Enable sub-tasks for the new issue type:
Under Issue types, click on Issue type schemes.
Find your project’s scheme and click on Edit.
Under Sub-task issue types, click on Add issue type.
Select your new issue type and click Add.

you need an admin privileges for this

Kishor Mudhili July 23, 2024

thank you so much for sharing the information. 

0 votes
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2024

Hi @Anders Hebert 

Just to confirm...

1. You've already added a new Issue Type
  2. You want to include Sub-tasks in the Issue Type Scheme
  3. You want the new Issue Type to have its own Screen

It seems like you have already completed (1) - is this correct?

For (2), you need to ensure Sub-tasks are also part of the Issue Type Scheme. Although, this will also allow other Issue Types (eg. Task) to add child Sub-tasks.

---

For (3), this is the order you need to do things in...

1. Go to Settings (cog icon) > Issues
  2. Select Screens from the left-hand menu
  3. Select Add screen 
  4. Create your Screen, and add fields to it
  5. Next, from the left-hand menu select Screen Schemes
  6. Select Add screen scheme
  7. Give the scheme a name and description, and link your Screen as the "Default Screen"
  8. Next, from the left-hand menu select Issue Type Screen Schemes
  9. Locate/open the Issue Type Screen Scheme used by your Project. You can also find this out via Project Settings > Summary, and looking under the "Screens" section
  10. Select Associate an issue type with a screen scheme
  11. Select the relevant Issue Type and Screen Scheme, and press Add

---

A few notes...

• Remember that modifying Issue Type Schemes and Issue Type Screen Schemes modifies these settings for all Projects using them, not just one. If this is an issue, creating new Schemes might be a better approach
  • You can add multiple Screens per Issue Type, using issue operations in Screen Schemes - you can have different Screens for view, create, and edit

---

Check out more information on these help pages:

Ste

Anders Hebert March 25, 2024

Thank you @Ste Wright  

Yes, you are correct that I already had created the Issue Type - but I would be happy just taking a new standard issue type and adjusting the fields in the Issue to suit my needs.

Anyways, I am much closer to a solution now, thanks to your help. But I have one remaining problem.

I created the new Issue type "HR-Change Request" - which I added specific fields to. These fields are not shown when I create a new Issue (with the new Issue type) - instead it has the same fields as the other issues in this project.

I suppose that this is due to the new Issue Type "HR-Change Request" is using the same Screen and same "Field configuration" as is is standard for this project. I guess the new issue type needs it's own screen (which by following your instructions I thought I had managed). This should allow the new issue type to have it's own fields in the issue?

Jira-issue1.png

Jira-issue2.png

Jira-issue3.png

Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2024

Hi @Anders Hebert 

It looks like there's two different Screen Schemes above...

• HR: New employee onboarding screen scheme
  • HR:ChangeRequest

...is this correct?

It also seems like the Issue Types remain under the other screen scheme at present, "MO: Kanban Default Screen Scheme"

---

This is the order it works in, for clarity:

• Screens are where fields are grouped/ordered for users
  • Screen Schemes then decide what issue operation this screen is for - default (all operations), view, create, or edit
  • Issue Type Screen Schemes then decide which Issue Types a screen scheme (and it's screens) is aligned to - default (all non-assigned issue types), or specific to 1+ types
  • Projects are assigned the issue type screen scheme

You need to ensure each step is completed - which might mean modifying an existing Issue Type Screen Scheme to include your new one, which is already in use for the Epics, Tasks, etc.

---

Field Configurations are different - these decide if fields are visible/hidden, mandatory, etc.

Ste

Anders Hebert March 28, 2024

Hi again @Ste Wright , thank you for your answer - and sorry for late reply...been mad here before Easter.

To answer your question:
For this Jira-project, the default Screen Scheme has been (and should be):
MO: Kanban Default Screen Scheme

However, probably due to me trying to solve this, I have made a pigs ear of it. 

The Screen Scheme: HR: New employee onboarding screen scheme is not one I want or need on this project (it's not used in any active project). 

The Screen Scheme: HR:ChangeRequest is a new attempt, based on your first reply above. This Screen Scheme is the one I want to be an additional Screen Scheme to the Jira-project, that I wish to apply to the new issue type: HR-Change Request - in order to differentiate the fields for this new issue type (from the other issue types). 

I feel as if I have botched this up - and I don't know how to correct the mistake - and to get my desired result (which, just to recap is to in a current Jira-project has an additional issue type that can have another field configuration than the standard issue types in the same Jira-project)

Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2024

Hi @Anders Hebert 

Have you created a new Screen? What is it's name?

Ste

Anders Hebert April 4, 2024

Hello again @Ste Wright - sorry again for late reply.

Yes, I have create a new Screen called HR: ChangeRequest  - which I intended to use for this solution. I have added fields to this screen too.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events