Add acceptance criteria to all user stories

I've added acceptance criteria field to some of my user stories manually.

How can I make the field appear by default to all user stories.

2 answers

0 votes
Tarun Sapra Community Champion Mar 13, 2014

Make sure you have an Custom field called Acceptance Criteria and add that to the create/edit/view screen of user story and also in the custom field configuration map the field with the issueType and the related project.

Thanks Tarun,

Perhaps my question wasn't very clear.

Acceptance Criteria field already exists, I don't need to create a custom field.

What I'd like is for it to appear by default when editing a user story, not just when I manually add it to the story.

Tarun Sapra Community Champion Mar 13, 2014

hi martin,

now sure what you mean when you say -

"What I'd like is for it to appear by default when editing a user story, not just when I manually add it to the story."

you want a default prepopulated value for the field? or you want it to present on the edit screen of the user story issueType?

Hello @martin steel1,

Can you post a screenshot of how your Acceptance Criteria looks on the issue page? That will help us to understand what you actually use.

If it is a standard custom field that is already present on the View screen, then you can add it to the Edit screen too. It will make it visible on the issue edit form.  

Cheers,
Jack

0 votes

Since when was "acceptance criteria" not a standard field in Jira?

Hi @Rob Hallifax,

The answer is actually "from the beginning".

There is no "Acceptance criteria" field (and never was) in Jira. The concept of acceptance criteria is not directly addressed in Jira.

Nevertheless, Jira is so flexible that it can handle various concepts in many ways, depending on customers' preference or needs. 

When comes to "acceptance criteria" it is possible to add a custom field and put it on the View and Edit screens for an issue. That solves most basic needs.

The other way is to develop an add-on or use one of the add-ons available on Atlassian Marketplace. 

My team created Issue Checklist app that solves the acceptance criteria and the definition of done problems through a list of check items. We also use it for testing notes and as a simple ToDo list so the number of possible use cases is very extensive. 

Issue Checklist allows to block resolving the case if not all items/criteria are completed. It also allows to mention users, link issues, display checklist progress in various places (including issue cards on Agile boards), define a default checklist for a project or issue type and more.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jack

Like 1 person likes this

Thanks for the reply Jack. I'm still getting used to the 'new' Jira but I'll get there!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

Implementing Jira in Small Business

Introduction This article will give insight on how a small software development department implemented Atlassian products to enhance and streamline the business process. The privately held company h...

301 views 2 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you