Add a gadget with text and links on the Jira Dashboard

Hi everyone,

I am currently configuring a Jira instance for some users new to Jira. To help them find there way through the menus I want to write them some instructions. They should describe the most common use cases and offer links directly to the relevant boards etc.

I want to realize this with a gadget on the dashboard. I've seen that I can use the introduction gadget. This works how I would like it, except that I only have one text. I want to offer different texts to different kind of users.

Is there any other way to accomplish that?

We are using jira Server, soon with 7.4, currently 7.3.8.

Best regards

Michaela

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes

The gadgets that offer static text don't make their content variable by user, so no, there's no way to do it natively.

You could find or write a gadget that is aware of a user's groups, and offers different text by group.

I tend to document in Confluence and then use links in gadgets with simple text with links like "PM Guide to JIRA", "Every one can use Dashboards" and so-on.

Hi.

I am sorry, I didn't make it clear, how I choose which users get which texts. I created different dashboards, which then each have a static text gadget. So there is no need choose text by user groups or similiar. 

Writing our own add-ons is currently of my list, as I am not aware how much work this will be until I reach what we want to achieve.

The idea of confluence is nice, but we are currently not using it.

Which gadgets offer static texts beyond the introduction gadget?

Ah, ok, if people have different dashboards, we can do this.

The introduction gadget draws a common block of text from an admin setting.

What you can do is use the "text gadget".  Text gadgets take their text from their own configuration, not from the admin settings.  So you can have different content on each dashboard.

It is usually disabled by default because it does allow for some html, which allows bad people to do insecure things with the text.  But if you are ok with that because you trust the users who you've given "create shared objects" to, then that's fine. 

Log in as an admin, go to Admin -> Manage add-ons and look for the gadget add-ons.  The text gadget is a module within one of them, and you'll find that one module is disabled.

Oh man, this was easy. Thanks for the good description. I guess this will work for us!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,877 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot