Add a default component to issues created on a specific board

Melanie Whyte November 6, 2020

I have a development project, and within it i have 5 different boards for different elements of the development.  I use components as the mechanism for filtering tickets to the right boards.  Also as a way of differentiating between the different elements on the main board. 

I have a set up currently where component is a required field when making a ticket so that they don't end up in the wrong place. 

However when the teams are creating tickets within their own boards, this is a bit onerous as you can use the quick create in the backlog (because of the required field it forces you to go into the full issue view).  Is it possible to set a default component on a board so that it is automatically populated if a ticket is created from there?

Thanks

Melanie

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2020

Board views don't determine project workflows or field settings - so I don't think you can do that directly.

You *can* set a default component on the workflows themselves, but those will affect all tickets using that workflow. Doesn't sound like that's what you want though.

You could remove the "required" part and use automation for Jira to set a component based on other field values (or users, etc)...

You could also look at using Templates (the addon) to create a shortcut that would pre-fill in field values as well.

Melanie Whyte November 9, 2020

Yes i did think about using a different field, but the team work across multiple things so there isnt anything that stands out as a good option for that. 

Thank you for confirming that I was not going crazy not being able to achieve this though. I will take a look at Templates and see if there is a solution there... thanks for your help!

Like Chris Buzon likes this
0 votes
Andreas Borkenhagen March 28, 2023

In Jira Software Server 8.22 you can somehow set a default component for Boards.

I don't know if this is magic, a bug or a feature but if a component is named EXACTLY like the board this component is set per default when creating issues from that board using the quick issue creation.

Maybe this also works in Jira Cloud?

0 votes
Yevgen Lasman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2020

Boards are just the search results representation and cannot define parameters for an issue creation. However, there might a solution if you have separate teams for these components (hence boards). You can automatically assign a component based on the reporter's group membership or other property, which will auto-fill Create Issue dialog with the necessary data.

Melanie Whyte November 9, 2020

thanks for your response.  Unfortunately the team members work on multiple things so I dont think thats a solution that will work. :(

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events