Add a Table to a Screen

tom napper October 21, 2015

We need to be able to have a form for users to fill out on on the issue screen. 

We are migrating the packaging team away from Excel into JIRA for their requests. There is one section where there is a 5 row, 10 column table. When I built the screen, I converted each column into a multi-line field thinking that they could enter the different rows in each. After meeting with the team they gave me feedback that this did not meet their needs. They are requesting that as a creator of the issue that they be able to add the information and make sure it is related to each other and not separated. Is there a way to solve this in JIRA with a table?

I have the idea to create different tabs containing unique custom fields on every tab, but it seems a bit cumbersome.

2 answers

0 votes
Tom Napper October 22, 2015

Tabs were the answer! The packaging team is happy. AND no more Excel. 

Thanks for the discussion.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2015

If your team is adopting to JIRA, I suggest adopting to its functions/features as well. A table custom field is not existent out of the box (there is an add-on for it and a feature request https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-6696 but it was declined). 

How do you use this 5 rows 10 columns table? Is it just a free form custom field? Do they relate with each other? Dependencies? I suggest on thinking what are your other options here. You can use a "List" custom field for each row, a Cascading Select, Single Line text field or Multi line. Maybe, you can just redefine on what information are really needed and store them differently in JIRA.

Tom Napper October 21, 2015

How are the rows used? The packaging created will be used for multiple product style numbers. Each row represents a style number and its attributes: pkg qty, sizes, fiber content, wholesale price, srp. My current solution has a new tab for each row (style number). This keeps all of the attributes for each style number easily associated. The "list" is a good idea but there are some fields that require unique data. At this point, the tabs might be my best solution. The extra tabs are hidden in the standard view of the issue if there is no data present. As for working differently. We have tackled that in spades. I've had to rip the Google Docs "tracking" sheet from their tight grip and have them embrace the Kanban board for all its goodness.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2015

You got me on "...rip the Google Docs". I've pictured it while reading it, sounds fun (not to scare anyone). I've worked with management teams who loved Excel sheets all their life. There is a JExcel plugin that let's you view a JIRA Project like an Excel sheet. Take a look at that and see if it's available in the cloud.

Tom Napper October 21, 2015

Thanks, I'll take a look, but wondering if it isn't just better to have them go cold turkey!

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 21, 2015

I say "cold turkey". Excel: Just Say No

Suggest an answer